Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Pixels

I'm gonna disagree with you on this one, The Motion Hero mini/lol . Didn't have high hopes going in for this movie and still don't. The premise is pretty great and original: "video games invading our world". But, in the end, the entire plot just falls flat. None of the characters are really interesting, neither entertaining, nor it the story. I'd say Peter Dinklage was probably the only actually entertaining actor in the movie. Sure, the videogame scenarios are fun to watch, and even somewhat clever, but looking at it as a comedy, it fails, to me at least, since i barely laughed at all. Yup, just another Adam Sandler money grab. Overall, there is enjoyment to be had, but i wouldn't really recommend this movie.

Unfriended

Not really scary. Some jump scare moves, but that is it. Interestingly made though. I enjoyed it.

/

Last edited by Noah (May 27, 2017 (12:11pm))

Formerly known as HeliumBrick

If you haven't watched anything new you should probably not post here until you have.

Mod edit: You can post anything you last watched new or old here.

Last edited by Smocktopus (August 8, 2015 (01:06pm))

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

You can tell Fantastic Four had studio interference because the final act was so rushed. The conflict was rushed with the villain not having a lot of motivation. For the studio that brought us Days of Future past as they advertised, the vfx were not great. A waste of the 4 principal cast members and Josh Trank's talent. If this film makes money and the sequel is still on the table, I hope it is better put together and the story is more developed as there were a lot of missed opportunities here.

2/5

Wall-E (2008)
Good. Great animation and story, but not my favorite pixar film.
4/5

I just watched that last Thursday! I really like that film, it's very clever.
I just watched The Iron Giant. That was one of my favourite films when I was younger. I used to watch it over and over again, back in the times of videos tapes!

funmiproductions wrote:

Fantastic Four  2/5

I thought it was going to belly flop as soon as I learnt that they made it to keep the rights to the characters. it was told cause they had a story to keep, not  a story to tell, you only make movies when you have a story to tell. (generally)

Inside Out

PIXAR IS BACK!!

Well...for now. The Good Dinosaur looks crap, (I remember when this story was called The Land Before Time) but we all know that trailers are misleading. That aside, this is by far the best Pixar film since Toy Story 3. In fact, why don't I give a really quick rundown of my thoughts on every Pixar film ever made.

Toy Story: It's Toy Story. It's a wormhole into another dimension where all art is the divine product of GOD.
A Bugs Life: Good, but suffers from cliches.
Toy Story 2: It's Toy Story 2.
Monsters Inc: Again suffers from cliche, but that climax with all the doors is just...wow.
Finding Nemo: Only as an adult do I truly appreciate this story about letting go.
The Incredibles: This takes all the superhero cliches and creates an absolute blast. "NO CAPES!"
Cars: Laaaammmeee.
Ratatoille: Cute, but forgettable - except for The Critic.
Wall-E: I hate this movie. And love it. Hate how it crudely manipulates the audience, but love everything else about it.
Up: The opening five mins is sadder than five Bambi's moms combined. The rest is great, but pales somewhat in comparison.
Toy Story 3: It's Toy Story 3.
Cars 2: Utter crap.
Brave: The definition of forgettable.
Monsters University: Takes all the cliches of college movies and...doesn't do anything with them. Lame.

And here we have Inside Out, and I think I've cracked what makes the good Pixar films so good. All Pixar films have an original premise and unique style (yes, even Cars) but the good Pixar films also have depth. Cars is your typical 'jerk gets taken back to humble roots and becomes a better person' story we've all seen before. Monsters University is your 'two clashing personalities work together to win competition' story. Yes, Toy Story is: 'two clashing personalities find friendship' - but it does this with Buzz struggling to find his identity, Woody being pushed to murderous rage over his irrelevance, and Andy going through childhood and all the fads therein. There's complex and unique stuff going on within it. The Toy Story Trilogy takes its premise and goes with it. The other bad Pixar films just have a premise.

Inside Out however is: 'clashing personalities together find solution to problem.' But there's Joy trying to remain optimistic in an increasingly hopeless situation, Sadness seeking a purpose, the emotional tormet of a child, the development of memory and the impact emotions have on them, how depression can completely shut down the brain, and how ultimately sadness is an integral part of existence.

And this is a children's movie.

In fact, this isn't what makes Pixar movies so good, and this isn't even what makes children's movies so good - this is what makes movies so good. I know I'm, as always, late to the party here; but if you haven't already seen Inside Out then GO SEE IT. IT'S AMAZING.

Last edited by Max Butcher (August 9, 2015 (02:05pm))

YouTube
Max, She/They

If anyone could sell a movie to me, it would be Max Butcher. I was going to follow my comic book loving instincts and see the increasingly avoidable Fantfourstic, but I might have changed my mind.

Brickyman wrote:

If anyone could sell a movie to me, it would be Max Butcher. I was going to follow my comic book loving instincts and see the increasingly avoidable Fantfourstic, but I might have changed my mind.

Don't. Don'tdon'tdon'tdon'tdon't.

I've thus far managed to avoid wasting my money seeing it, though I have a bunch of friends who want to so I may end up accompanying them. Bantz and all.

My problem is that it looks to be (and indeed, review confirm) a dark and gritty interpretation of a property that only works in its native format because it's crazily bizarrely beautifully weird, brightly-coloured, nonsense-science-filled fun. Emphasis on the last word. If you take all that out and try to tell an introspective tale on the potential for PTSD after the acquisition of superpowers...well, you're sort of telling Alias, and not Fantastic Four (and not even telling Alias that well, either). It's like when the Alice in Wonderland sequel that was called Alice in Wonderland came out; don't be disingenuous. It's not Alice, it's a different story, a love-letter to the original. Different meaning, different tone, even many different characters. Call it something else. Same goes for Fantastic Four; you're telling a Chronicle spin-off, not the origins of Marvel's first family.

Apparently there are other issues too, like it having a cosmically-awful script, one which isn't as smart as it thinks it is, and being riddled with boring cliches.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Max Butcher wrote:

The Good Dinosaur looks crap,

It doesn’t look that bad. The animation looks great, maybe the best Pixar's ever done.

Shaun the Sheep

If you're a fan of stop motion (and you should be if you're on this forum), go see it; if only to throw you're money at it so the next Aardman film will even be released in the US. Seriously, the poor opening of this film is a crime. The film is endlessly charming, and the complete lack of dialogue is quite a film making achievement; that alone makes it worth a watch. It's a wonderfully entertaining and hilarious film, and extremely well animated.

Tims Videos wrote:
Max Butcher wrote:

The Good Dinosaur looks crap,

It doesn’t look that bad. The animation looks great, maybe the best Pixar's ever done.

I have my doubts. Sure, the visuals look amazing, but the premise of a dinosaur going against it's nature is something that's not only already been explored in other animations, but other Disney films.

But, again, trailers are misleading. It'll probably turn of the film is completely different...

YouTube
Max, She/They

The Nightmare before Christmas
Kind've creepy but cool. Inspiring animation and catchy songs.
4/5

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Probably the best action movie of the year alongside Mad Max Fury Road. Beautifully directed action sequences that keeps you on the edge of your seat and also builds up great suspense

Spoiler (click to read)

especially for the motorcycle chase sequence

I'm surprised the series is still fresh after 5 installments, this has to be my favorite of the franchise.
9.5/10

rafaelbisinoti wrote:

I'm surprised the series is still fresh after 5 installments, this has to be my favorite of the franchise.

Using a new director for every movie certainly doesn't hurt.

Surprised this one hasn't been mentioned by more people, its a fun film, with a good villain and a great soundtrack. Nice to see that Mission Impossible finally has managed to be consistently good with this and Ghost Protocol.

Willco66 wrote:

Surprised this one hasn't been mentioned by more people...

I want to, but I still haven't seen the other four. Probably wouldn't hurt watching the fifth first, but I'd rather start at the beginning.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:
Willco66 wrote:

Surprised this one hasn't been mentioned by more people...

I want to, but I still haven't seen the other four. Probably wouldn't hurt watching the fifth first, but I'd rather start at the beginning.

The first one I saw was the fourth one. I eventually saw the third and the first. All of the films don't need much knowledge of the previous films to stand very well on their own, however, having said that, starting with the third or fourth one and watching in order from there does help with the film.

It helps that the second one is apparently bad, and the first, despite a couple of stellar sequences, wasn't one I liked all that much. Three was alright and had Phillip Seymour Hoffman as a terrifying villain who wrecked the fun of the rest of it and stole the show and Ghost Protocol is fantastic for the Burj Khalifa sequence alone, so its a series that seems to have improved over time when franchises usually do the opposite.