Topic: Cloud tank tests

This is my first test of bricks sinking into the tank, it's filmed in 1080p at 30fps slowed to 15fps. I need to composite more of the bricks into the footage so it looks like a lot of bricks are floating by at one time, I might also just want to film one or two bricks at a time sinking so the splashes can be edited out (but I might leave part of them in, it does make things look interesting.

I'll keep you updated as I do more filming.

Re: Cloud tank tests

Yeah, if it had more bricks or more stuff going on it would be a lot better.
Right now, while the effect is nice, it's sorta slow and boring.

I would totally leave the splashes in, otherwise it's just bricks appear and then fading away. The splashes give it a much more unique and special look. Also,

Spoiler (click to read)

they go well with the fish coming out of the building and flying everywhere. Kinda extends the water-y feel more, which is cool. Assuming you want something like that.

This is so freaking cool. Great job Sloth. mini/bigsmile

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

And here is some more footage, this time it's some bricks sinking from an alternative angle followed by some condensed milk, then glitter and even more condensed milk.

I love the fact that when the milk has glitter floating in it, it casts little beams of light through the cloud as the glitter movies, sadly I am kind of disappointed in the 720p @ 60fps footage, for one thing there is a lot of digital noise on the milk shots, or maybe I just need to shoot that footage at a lower f-stop, the milk was shot at f11 with an ISO of 1600 which seems to be fine for the bricks and glitter but just falls apart with semi-transparent fluids.

Here is a shot of the bricks just sitting on top of the salt water:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3857/14644865154_f87ae868c2_z.jpg

I think when it comes to cloud - less is more.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Yeah, the clouds themselves need a bit of work.

Hey great job SlothPaladin, really enjoyed the tests!

With the first test I felt it did lack studs, and having more would have been nicer and more enjoyable. But it was still great! If I hadn't been following your thread on the project I would not have known it was a fish tank mini/tongue I also enjoyed the glow effect of the studs.

Second test I really enjoyed the milk effect and the studs scrolling through from a different angle.

Good job, and I look forward to seeing the final project.

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Ash Nazari, the photographer I shot much of the cloud tank footage with edited some of it together  in this video LEGOs in Space to the soundtrack of 2001: A Space Odyssey, which is an excellent tribute to the man who inspired me to experiment with the cloud tank in the first place: Douglas Trumbull

This is really looking fantastic. I love the use of practical effects to get the look you want instead of resorting to CGI (of course, CGI always has its place).

The glitter in the water looks particularly good. When your shots are complete, I'd love to see a full write-up of how you accomplished the shots.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2930/14658973462_d843b5af80_z.jpg

This is the cloud tank, it is an insane 60 gallon tank I got for $20 on craigslist, the bottom 'foggy' layer is salt water, about 1/3 of the tank contains salt water and it takes me around 6 hours to create 20 gallons of salt water. This could be faster if I had bigger pots or a smaller tank. Every gallon of salt water need about 175ml of salt added to tap water and to be brought up to boil and then left boiling for 20 minuets to get the salt to saturate the water completely.

At 175ml per gallon you will need an insane amount of salt, especially if you want to do more then one shoot (after a point the water gets too polluted to continue to use, but you can get about 3-4 hours of time shooting the tank depending on what you are shooting) If you buy the salt at a grocery store it might run you around $80+ and they won't have enough salt in stock for you anyway. But you can get non-food grade salt at hardware stores to the tune of $5 per 40 lbs bag.

In the first test the camera is positioned looking down into the tank, I wanted the bricks to disappear as they sink, so rather then filling the tank with 20 gallons of salt water I filled it with 5 gallons of darkly colored salt water, I just used a combo of red, green, and blue food coloring boiled in with the salt so the bottom layer would be very dark. I aimed the lights on ether side of the tank and pointed them upward slightly so the deepest water in the tank was not lit., then I just tossed bricks in and they would sink and after they got past the lights would 'vanish' sadly the way the lighting was set up made a HUGE amount of glare on the tank making me dissatisfied with any behind the scenes shots of this footage.

In Round two I set the lights pointed down into the tank from the narrow sides and dropped bricks down with the camera turned on it's side, you can see the bricks floating on the layer of salt water, for a while I thought the plastic density was lighter then salt water but it turns out that bricks will eventually sink through the salt water, but I think freshwater is getting trapped inside causing them to float in the tank.

In shot 2 I am using the same camera shot set up for the first video (above looking into the tank) and have just sprayed the top of the water with condensed milk and mixed a touch of glitter into the water.

shot 3 featured the same camera set up with just glitter, shot 4 has the same setup but the condensed milk is just poured in, you can see bubbles on the top of the water which bothers me.

The opening shot of LEGOS In SPACE (sorry I did not name this, you will have to deal with 'LEGOS') is the condensed milk I had sprayed in which is settling with a bit of glitter, I think the shot has been turned upside down and had an orange filter added. Shot 2 has bricks floating on the layer of salt water after I mixed the water up a bit with my hands to get some movement (if you don't disturb the water they will just sit in the tank un-moving as if they are on solid ground) We did a lot of work de-bubbling the bricks, but missed a few, when the bricks are dropped into the water air bubbles can get stuck to them, we tried to deal with this my making an underwater cradle just above the camera with pre-submerged bricks which I pushed into the tank with a fork. This was not perfect and sometimes bubbles still collected on the bricks.

Currently I have about 110 minuets of cloud tank footage (27.2 GB), not all of it is usable but a lot of it is, even if it does not work for this movie, I do want to get one more day work work in the tank this week and then I will probably retire the tank until I need to make a space film (which I think after shooting this stuff is something I have to do next)

I like this, I like this a lot, especially the bricks floating through the water.  It looks amazing, and so LEGO.
It would work really well for credits or a titles scene, perhaps something else as well.

I might even try this myself.  It's inspirational.

If you are trying this yourself get a smaller tank (60 gallons is crazy big), and make sure you have fine glitter on hand. If you just want to sink the LEGO you don't even need to make salt water. Also shine as much light in the tank as possible, use 2 to 4 thousand watts of shop lights if you have to, I am using 2 1000 watt halogen film lights and I wouldn't mind replacing the 1k's with 5k's

I will be using some of this footage for opening titles and closing credis.

These tests make me even more excited for this.  I can't wait to see the finished product.

Ash posted some more edited cloud tank footage, of the lightning we created, this was the last stuff we shot, I have not done any editing on the files myself and am not sure if I will be using the lightning footage in this film, but in any case I have a bunch of stock footage that looks great.

We are done shooting in the tank for the foreseeable future.

I'm pretty sure I saw a shadow of someone moving around, but other than that it's super sweet. I can't wait to see how you plan to use this.