Topic: Frederator Network

In short, Frederator Network just dropped me a message asking if I want to partner with them (they're behind Adventure Time, and channels like Simon's Cat is partnered with them). This seems like an amazing opportunity, and I want to jump and accept, but I need to do more research into them first.

Does anyone here have any experience with them? If so, is there anything I should know?

And to anyone partnered with any network, what are the benefits and downsides of these kinds of partnerships?

Any info at all would be much appreciated. When I'm back at my computer, I shall be doing a ton of research before I accept anything. If there's anything anyone can tell me, I'd be very grateful.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Re: Frederator Network

Congrats on the offer. It seems huge.

From what I understand they do accept network applications from anyone and I am wondering myself what they have to offer, I ask them on one of the application promos they were running on Cartoon Hangover (which I love) but they never replied.

I've been away for a few days on a swim trip and haven't had a chance to look into it yet, but I too was messaged and asked if I'd like to partner with them.  I'm going to try and look at it more today and will post here if I find anything that seems especially relevant.

EDIT:
While the network itself appears to be legitimate, the user that approached me (one "Blake Smith") has had his account suspended.

YouTube wrote:

This account has been suspended due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube's policy against spam, gaming, misleading content, or other Terms of Service violations.

That leads me to doubt the authenticity of the offer.

Last edited by JonnDthunDer (September 28, 2014 (12:51pm))

Holy freaking god dude, I LOVE THEM YOU SHOULD ACCEPT!!!! Wait, what was the email account name?

Thanks for the responses, guys.

JonnDthunDer wrote:

While the network itself appears to be legitimate, the user that approached me (one "Blake Smith") has had his account suspended.

YouTube wrote:

This account has been suspended due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube's policy against spam, gaming, misleading content, or other Terms of Service violations.

That leads me to doubt the authenticity of the offer.

I saw that too, but decided to try applying directly to Frederator instead of using any links in that message. They accepted, and I'm now partnered with them!

Last edited by jampot (September 29, 2014 (06:42am))

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

They accepted, and I'm not partnered with them!

Do you mean now? And if you did mean now, Hey man, that's great! mini/bigsmile

Whoops, meant to type 'now' mini/mrgreen

I'm not so convinced that networks actually do so much beyond what you already do, and generating you a little less money in return for supposed extra traffic (IDK).

I joined up with a network a while back, and all it's really done is given me access to a YouTube community I otherwise wouldn't have known of.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Kieren Barnett wrote:

I'm not so convinced that networks actually do so much beyond what you already do, and generating you a little less money in return for supposed extra traffic (IDK).

I joined up with a network a while back, and all it's really done is given me access to a YouTube community I otherwise wouldn't have known of.

Because they're designed for people with a little higher traffic or growth rate. I'm just gonna tell you straight that networks don't have a lot to offer you if you have >100 subscribers. Also, you'll need to join something besides any old network. For example, if your network is more exclusive then others, you'll probably get a lot more help and features. It'll be a lot harder to get more views and exposure from networks like FullScreen or Freedom because they let legitimately EVERYONE in. That means thousands of other people who all want the same service from the network. It's a little hard to manage, you can imagine, so it really helps to have an existing larger following that could grow on its own, but will be aided by the support of a network.

This aspect is what makes Frederator Network more appealing to me. Only animators can join. Lord knows how many 13 year old wannabe LPers join some of the aforementioned networks, so this helps narrow down clientele to people who have more drive and growth potential. In fact, I think you have to be 18 to join the network, so you're much more likely to be seriously into the hobby instead of some kid out to make a quick buck.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Sonjira wrote:

In fact, I think you have to be 18 to join the network, so you're much more likely to be seriously into the hobby instead of some kid out to make a quick buck.

You do indeed.

I just got a pm like yours from a guy called "Max James".
What should I do? mini/confused

END films wrote:

I just got a pm like yours from a guy called "Max James".
What should I do? mini/confused

I got one from "Chip Traynor".

http://i.imgur.com/1scm4er.png

Probably just spam. It doesn't seem legit.

Don't reply to that email address, but if you're still interested, go to the official Frederator site and sign up there. What happened with me was the guy who sent me the original message was actually legit, but the way he was sending so many messages through YouTube was apparently considered spam.

Do these guys get commission or something?  No other reason to spam like that.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

No idea. Could be.

jampot wrote:

Don't reply to that email address, but if you're still interested, go to the official Frederator site and sign up there. What happened with me was the guy who sent me the original message was actually legit, but the way he was sending so many messages through YouTube was apparently considered spam.

Well the link in the email is legit (it is a email on Frederator's website. But seeing as many people are invited and I don't think I would make enough for it to be worth it I won't join.

So youtube ads pay about ... Nothing, after rounding up, and these guys will take a further 30% of that, leaving you 70% of nothing.

Basically you put ads on your work in exchange for one or two new subscribers.

Aka Fox

After Frederator's recent triumph that is Bee and Puppycat, my interest in Frederator was renewed. The idea of a network exclusively for animators sounds very attractive to me, so I looked into signing up.

The conditions of their contract are*:

• The contract lasts 12 months, and renews itself every year until you say stop.

• Frederator takes a 30% cut of your revenue.

• Frederator get the right to put your videos on any YouTube channel they want. I'm guessing this is so they can make promotional videos like Saturday Morning Cartoons.

• You keep all the rights to your own content, so you can still do what you want with your videos.

• Frederator gets to access your channel settings and can manage them accordingly (this is standard fare for YouTube networks).

• Frederator will give you coaching on how to build a channel, their "technology and tools" and promotion across their network. The website mentioned something about being able to collaborate with their network of creators too.

• Frederator can stick their logo on everything you make. It doesn't look like they actually do this though, although you are required to put "ChannelFrederator" in your channel page's 'Featured Channels' box and link to it on your website, if you have one.

• You can't use any copyrighted music or video in your stuff. I know this was the rule anyway on YouTube, but it seems like a shame. It may work retroactively too.

*this is not a substitute for reading the actual contract

While some of that kinda sucks, joining a network is absolutely necessary if you want to do YouTube seriously, and I think Frederator is probably the best option for the folks here. They've only got about 500 partners (whereas Fullscreen and Maker have thousands) so they can focus on you more easily and you channel definitely would grow off the back of it. If you signed up and focused hard on making your channel cool to watch, you would quickly outgrow the 30% that Frederator takes.

I'm gonna keep thinking it over. I've done YouTube independently for so long, I'm not about to sign myself away that quickly. mini/tongue

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I got an offer.  Thinking about accepting just for the experience.  What does it mean when the get access to your channel settings?

I'm not American nor am I in America - I assume the "financials" of working with internationals was sorted out a long time ago (mind you, I'd be luck to raise $1 with my viewer base).

Looking for pros/cons from people that have given this a shot.  Cheers.

Aka Fox