Topic: Is it time to move on?

So I was talking with two of my friends lately, one is sort of a brickfilmer who's about to quit and give away his camera, and one quit years ago. They started explaining to me about how brickfilming made some good memories in the past and all, but they also told me how childish and amateurish it seems. They said that brickfilming is a good start to your filmmaking career, but some time or another you have to move on to bigger and better things such as live action and stuff like that, which I don't disagree with. Still, it's devastating to see one of my good friends quit brickfilming, especially after all the fun we've had with it.

Despite all they tell me about me being too old for this stuff, I really don't see the point in just quitting, especially when I don't have the money for better software or a better camera. On top of that, there's something about animating with lego that I just can't get over. I really don't like burdening you guys with this, but I'm really in a contemplative state right now as to if I should keep doing what I passionately love to do, or move on and try something new. Thoughts? Have any of you guys gone through this kind of thing before? If you need any clarification on anything, just let me know.

Thank you.

Re: Is it time to move on?

I don't think that a brickfilmer ever needs to quit brickfilming.  If you grow tired of brickfilming, then go ahead.  It's your life afterall.
But you don't have to feel pressured to quit because brickfilming is for beginners.  There are many brickfilmers who keep on brickfilming into adulthood and have been able to make very professional brickfilms.

I do think it's a good idea to experiment with different mediums though.

I started to shift toward other mediums (hand drawn, live action) when I went to college. Ironically, of course, most of my early college work in live action was not as good as my LEGO stuff because I was starting over my skillset on the technical side of things.

I still think LEGO's a fun medium when you have an idea for a short film and you want to make it without needing actors, expensive equipment, a crew, etc. and I'd totally make a brickfilm if I had an idea I liked that lent itself to that. Admittedly, I am more interested in long, dramatic stories that aren't suited to LEGO animation, hence my focus on live action in recent years.

It depends what your intentions with your films are. It's perhaps inherently amateur, unless you're being paid to make LEGO videos, but dismissing any hobby as childish seems childish to me. A lot of people here are adults who make LEGO movies as a hobby, which is very different from pursuing filmmaking as a career. Live action filmmaking, IMO, is not really something that can be a small, part-time hobby and be done well, unlike brickfilming.

Not to mention, I'm not sure how old you are, but I've seen a lot of good brickfilms made by high schoolers. I haven't seen any good live action films made by high schoolers. It's just hard to make something credible with young, inexperienced actors, and you need a lot of very specific equipment and skills and crew to pull off live action well.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

At the risk of sounding cheesy, if you're doing something you love, don't stop doing it.  It doesn't matter what other people think, as long as you enjoy doing what you do (well, unless you enjoy murdering people, but that's beside the point).  Though it does help if you're good at it too...  All in all, it's ultimately up to you.  If you feel that you won't really get anything out of brickfilming anymore and want to move on, then move on; if you love brickfilming and want to continue doing it, continue doing it and don't let other people dissuade you.

Personally, I think the whole "you're too old for X" is in most cases complete rubbish.  There are many good brickfilms, some of which I believe are on par with professionally made live-action films.  Look at brickfilmers such as Nathan Wells or Chris Boyer--they make fantastic brickfilms and are well into adulthood.  The BiM Documentary Kickstarter managed to raise the not insignificant sum of over $12,000, and Smeagol and co. are going to be flying to Europe just to interview brickfilmers.  That alone should be enough to make anyone who claims this hobby is childish think twice.

I personally brickfilm because it's a way of creatively expressing myself, and at this point it simply isn't possible for me to do any sort of live-action work.  Therefore, it has value to me.  I can't even begin to list the things I've learned from this hobby--and this is coming from someone who's barely made three films and hardly well known as a brickfilmer.  In fact, I'm worried that I won't be able to brickfilm all the things I want to because I won't have the time or energy to do so.

Bottom line: It's natural to question yourself from time to time; in fact, I'd say it's healthy and even necessary.  I've quit doing things in the past, even though I'd enjoyed them, because I felt that I had nothing more to gain from them and that it was time to move on--I'm pretty sure we all have.  But if you think there is still value in brickfilming, then there's no reason for you to stop.  So please don't stop making brickfilms.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

This is a topic that I have some pretty strong feelings about, so sorry if this gets a bit ranty.

First point: the world is made such a better place by people do what they love instead of following the norm. For example, if when you turned say, 16, you became officially to old for LEGO, and everyone who loved LEGO just said okay, and went on to fulfill an average life (let that be whatever you want), there would be no one to work at LEGO and design new sets. LEGO literally couldn't exist without the adults who refused to let everyone else tell them they were to old for LEGO.

Secondly, not doing something you love because someone says that you're "too old" for it is (expletive) stupid. It is absolutely no one's place to tell you that you're wrong for doing something you love (assuming it's not illegal mini/tongue ). If you love making brickfilms, then you should make brickfilms. It's that simple. There's no such thing as being to old too like LEGO, too old to brickfilm, too old to play video games, too old to enjoy the art of animation (this one really bothers me), too old to anything; it's all just (another expletive) created by the social insecurities of the general public and the human desire to belong. You should do what you love, because you love it, and the love of that thing will bring you happiness. If making brickfilms makes you happy, then that should be the only reason you need to keep making them.

Also, I find the idea that brickfilms are intrinsically amateur to me comical. Are there very amateur brickfilms, yes, but there are infinitely more amateur live action films out there. Calling an entire artform amateur is absurd. You would never say that since there are many amateur painters in the world, there are no professional painters. Brickfilming is it's own medium of animation, and like any other there's a whole gradient of quality, from terrible videos made by 12 year olds, to films made by professional animation studios like the brickfilm segments on Robot Chicken, or by Paganomation, which David Pagano has pretty much turned into a legitimate studio at this point. There are plenty of brickfilms around, many by members of this site, with quality that's up to snuff with any professional animation studio. The fact that you make brickfilms is not what makes you an amateur film maker.

Lastly, you've been improving with every film you've made and I don't think you should stop. mini/smile

I could probably say a lot more, but if this gets much longer you probably won't read the whole thing mini/tongue . You can stop making brickfilms if you want, but never let anyone pressure you out of doing the things you love. You should do what makes you happy, make whatever art you find joy in creating.

The part of brickfilming that is sometimes easy to overlook is the unique quality. If you make a short film and post it on the internet, it might be good. Heck, it might be REALLY good! But if you make an animation with LEGO, of the exact same quality, your view count will be MUCH higher, and you might find yourself being able to use it as a more creative piece in a portfolio for future work.

It's the 'little fish, big pond' argument. If you want to increase your ability to be noticed and have your work respected, remove the ability for comparison. A fish is only comparable to the size of the pond. In the case of brickfilming, you are still that same sized fish, but now you're in a smaller pond.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with considering an adventure into live-action or other styles of animation, just that the LEGO medium is actually a very unique form of animation, and should be given a little bit of credit for the creative options that it makes possible.

Lighting a set with an architect's lamp is far easier than lighting a larger set, designing your own characters to populate a scene is harder when you don't have a handful of prefabricated heads and torsos, and both of those may seem like shortcuts, but they are a huge creative advantages that give you time to focus on other aspects of your production.

I can see a time where I out grow lego and move on to clay (yuck) or other armature stop motion (as in wire frame puppets).

Lego is an enabler and a barrier.  You can get sets up very quickly - so its an enabler, but everything is square and you can't walk in a diagonal line (barrier).  When I tire of those restrictions I'll move on to armature stop motion.

But it will still be stop motion.  mini/smile  Perhaps you need a new technical challenge.

Last edited by togfox (October 12, 2014 (06:53am))

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Hey GHB,

Unfortunately, as time goes by people do change, but that doesn't mean you have to also change with them. This question no one can really answer for you. I can't tell you keep doing stop motion cause it's awesome, if you feel pressured or want to actually move on if you had the money.

For me, even when I do have the money for a more expensive camera to move onto something else, I choose to spend it on lego and accessories for lego. For me Lego is something that I have such a big passion for. I don't feel I'll ever grow out of it. Even if I did, I know deep down I'd always come back to it sooner or later. For me I just can't have lego just to play with, I need to bring them to life. It makes me happy maybe sounding cheesy but its the truth. Of course to me I also enjoy when others enjoy my work, that's a big plus for all of us I'm sure.

To know that your work is appreciated and liked by others. You get that feel of accomplishment like you did something great or amazing even if it's just to you.

I'd say move onto live filming, when you do get them money, as obviously your not going to make money with stop motion. But never leave it as a hobbie if it is something you enjoy. If you have grown out of it. Don't feel weird or pressured about it. It's just life telling you perhaps you need a new hobby or direction.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

I consider brickfilming a form of professional stopmotion, except that it's with Lego. Nothing wrong with stopmotion itself, why something wrong with doing it with Lego?

signature

If you like it why stop.

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

This is why I love THAC, because you can quit Brickfilming yet still do THAC. If life takes over and you don't have time to animate, you can stop animating throughout the rest of the year - but THAC is just a weekend (which most people usually have free, or can make free) where you're given an idea, and given plenty of encouragement from other Brickfilmers.

YouTube
Max, She/They

I, personally, have always viewed brickfilming as a hobby. (A very time consuming and devoted hobby, but, still, a hobby) I mainly do my filming on the weekends, just as a model builder would make model ships and cars on the weekends, and just as stamp collectors usually sort their collections.

I do aspire to filmmaking. I've already started looking into colleges, and, already have a bunch of good live action ideas from my years of writing and brickfilming! - But, this doesn't mean that live action is the "next step" in a "process."

I think it's good for everyone to have a hobby - something all your own for you, and you alone, to enjoy.

Brickfilming, writing, and animating - truly are the closest things I have to hobbies. And, I'm sticking to them.

Yep, after deciding this, I've pondered just for how long I really will brickfilm - 5 years? 50 years? 80 years? I surely plan to do it for all of my life! It's just so fun and entertaining to others, I couldn't bring myself to stop something I love so much, and something that's brought smiles to little faces, and lightened up people's days.

I want to try, and try hard, to brickfilm... for as much of "forever" that I'll live to see. As far as I'm concerned, I won't have a happily ever after if I up and quit brickfilming. mini/smile

However, not all may feel this way. Some let their "logical, stoic, calculating, and worrying" side tell them that brickfilming is too childish... too amateur... a way of the past. Others, like me, may have a bit too much of a suggestion from their "imagination fueling, creative, and entertaining" side - wanting to pursue brickfilming for a bit over what should be "normally acceptable."

But, I'm not here to decide for you, GHB, or for anyone else on BiM. I do brickfilming for the love of it; others only use it as a temporary medium to house their "bigger and better" ideas for a future career. - and I understand that. But, it is a bit sad to know that some friends of yours are quitting it.

Perhaps they weren't meant to have as much influence and show as much creativity as people like Nathan Wells, Vandy, or Smeagol!

If so, then they'd better leave, and decrease the surplus population of amateurs and quitters! mini/tongue

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Dyland,

I have to say, you and me then arn't very different!

I've also been inspired by brickfilming so much that I'm also looking into courses for filming! It's also something I would love to do for the rest of my life as well.

Good to know theres others that feel the same mini/smile

And as Dyland mentioned, you have to love it and have a passion for brickfilming or anything in life. If you don't its never going to work for you, and people telling you otherwise will make no effect if you don't feel it. It's like a craving, some days I just want to sit all day and animate. Other days It may not be a day of brickfilming.

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

What a silly question this is.

Quick answer? No.

if I should keep doing what I passionately love to do, or move on and try something new.

Perhaps a better question to ask yourself is whether those two options are exclusive. You don't have to give up brickfilming to start working on live-action.

A lot of people drift through life without ever really finding something they're truly passionate about. If you really have a passion for brickfilming, keep doing it. No one is handing out cool points for having "mature" adult hobbies- this is your life, and as long as it isn't hurting anyone you might as well live it in a way that makes you happy. It sure beats the alternative.

Squash wrote:

You don't have to give up brickfilming to start working on live-action.

Totally true.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

FlyingMinifig wrote:

...There are many good brickfilms, some of which I believe are on par with professionally made live-action films.  Look at brickfilmers such as Nathan Wells or Chris Boyer--they make fantastic brickfilms and are well into adulthood.  The BiM Documentary Kickstarter managed to raise the not insignificant sum of over $12,000, and Smeagol and co. are going to be flying to Europe just to interview brickfilmers.  That alone should be enough to make anyone who claims this hobby is childish think twice

Thanks FlyingMinifig, although some could debate if I have been making films in my adulthood. The last time I finished a real short was seven years ago, although I guess I started working on my current film 4 years ago and had one project that was never complete between 2007 to 2010.

I do not consider Brickfilming to be my hobby, I don't know that I would really consider animation or stop motion to be my hobby either, I consider myself to be a film maker, and making films is my hobby, I don't think that I'll ever make it into a career and I'm fine with that.

I also hate monetized YouTube content so I avoid serious breaches of copyright so I can keep my tiny YouTube channel ad free. But that is just my personalized conviction.

LEGO and for that matter, animation is just another medium which I can use in the craft. When I finish (or abandon) something I have to ask myself: "Do I want to make another film?" (Y/N), if yes then: "What medium to I want to make that film in?" If I choose to make a film that is not created with LEGO I am not abandoning my hobby, or Brickfilming or whatever, I am simply choosing another medium. Right now LEGO is my medium of choice.

Shortly after making my first Claymation I had planned to move away from LEGO and switch to clay, starting a vampire project that was to ambitious which I never finished, in the middle of my vampire movie I got my first and only freelance animation job. I planned to become a freelance animator but that never panned out. To be honest I thought I was a lot better at animation then I was. At some point I came the the conclusion that I wasn't going to stop making films, but my films would not pay for themselves so as long as I planned to release my films for free I didn't need to worry about any sort of copyright conflict from using LEGO bricks.

The stories I want to tell lend themselves well to the LEGO aesthetic so I plan to continue making films with them, if I really want to make something that is better suited to another medium and the film making can be done within my means I won't feel like I have abandoned anything.

Personally I have found that if I start another project in the middle of a longer project the long project will never be finished. So I don't see any room to make a short LEGO project in the middle of a live action project or vise versa, I can only focus on one project at a time, so I need to see a film to completion before considering working on something else.

I'm basically going to echo everyone else here in in saying that you shouldn't fall into peer pressure. Not everyone who makes a brickfilm is making it to become another George Lucas or a famous film maker. In fact, most people don't become film makers if they like film as a young person. Sure, we're all amature, but that's not bad. Sure, we have dreams of making brickfilms for a living for the rest or our lives, but it's just not practical. Some really great brickfilmers (like Nathan Wells, who is a graphic designer) do other things for a living, and have the great hobby of brickfilming.

In short, do what you love, and don't listen to your friends. Brickfilming isn't childish, if it's what you want to do. Sure, you need to be well rounded and if you spend all your time making brickfilms and not doing anything else, then it's not really that healthy, but if you like to brickfilm and love what you do, don't give up, just go with it.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

All I can say is, I hope for the best for you GHB! We can only advise you, but it's you who makes the decision. If you truly love brick filming, then stick with it! Whether money, fame, success comes or not, keep striving to do what you love! I hope that I never become rich or famous, so that I can focus more on creativity and not just what other people want me to do. Once again, good luck! I wish the best for you and your career.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

rioforce wrote:

I'm basically going to echo everyone else here in in saying that you shouldn't fall into peer pressure. Not everyone who makes a brickfilm is making it to become another George Lucas or a famous film maker. In fact, most people don't become film makers if they like film as a young person. Sure, we're all amature, but that's not bad. Sure, we have dreams of making brickfilms for a living for the rest or our lives, but it's just not practical. Some really great brickfilmers (like Nathan Wells, who is a graphic designer) do other things for a living, and have the great hobby of brickfilming.

Almost everything that I would have said has been said by everyone else, but I would like to add: having something as a "hobby" doesn't mean it's lesser than your career. I brickfilm because I love films and I love LEGO. But I actively chose not to pursue filmmaking as a career because I knew it was a very difficult and competitive field to get in to, and I'd rather have a steady, reliable job where I can work for 8 hours a day a then spend my free time doing what I love. Brickfilming isn't a lesser for of stop-motion animation, and stop-motion animation isn't a lesser form of live-action. You don't "upgrade" when you go from stop-motion (or any other type of animation) or live-action. You're just changing styles.

I strongly agree with Smeagol, FlyingMinifig, backyardlegos, Ladon, SlothPaladin and Rioforce. They said essentially all I was going to say.

There will be times in your life where you may lose interest in hobby, or feel pressure from outside sources to abandon it. When this happens, please don't immediately abandon everything. If you have the space, try to keep your equipment and LEGO, safely packed away. I barely touched my LEGO and didn't brickfilm for 5 years, and only have of those years was because of college. The other half of that time I had nothing to blame except for my lack of interest. But I kept my LEGO and everything else. And now the interest is rekindled. So please, if you can, don't clear out everything yet. You might regret selling or getting rid of everything in the future.