Topic: [THAC XII] Second Genesis

Directory Link

[THAC XII] Second Genesis

YouTube

The time has come to return...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BuilderBrothers/signatures/thac14sig.png

Re: [THAC XII] Second Genesis

Looks amazing, really like the lighting and effects.

My only gripe is that for a stop motion animation competition, there was only a few seconds of actual animation, and the rest was done in post..

This is definitely the best looking film i've seen though, good job.

That was cool. Personally I'm not a fan of all the special effects/CGI, but you did pull all that off rather well. The whole premise of the film felt pretty cliche, until the twist at the end, which made me smile. I can't really comment on your lighting or animation, since they were done in post and of very small quantity, respectively.

Looks good, I enjoyed it. The story is interesting, I liked it. I like how you used the CGI to extend the sets, but like the others said, I wish there were more actually animation.

I didn't find any of the mod elements, though. You must have hidden them well.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Yes!
Long time no see, how's Squire coming along?

It wasn't until the end that I realized the fun in this short.
The visual effects, sets and color-correction are all very well done, you impress as always. The use of both mini-scale and large-scale sets gave it a great look, and one that made a lot of sense later on. The effects/CGI are great for only have twenty-four hours. Did you have anything already modeled, or was it all from scratch?

There's hardly any animation, and it felt kinda generic and bland until the twist, but the production quality is great.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

That was cool. Personally I'm not a fan of all the special effects/CGI, but you did pull all that off rather well. The whole premise of the film felt pretty cliche, until the twist at the end, which made me smile. I can't really comment on your lighting or animation, since they were done in post and of very small quantity, respectively.

Actually, believe it or not there was actually animation in every shot (excluding the fully CG shots, though those are technically animated too, just in the computer instead of with a camera).  Most of the camera pans in this were real, they were just enhanced digitally to make them appear either smoother or, in some cases, more shaky.  There were also several instances where bits of animation were obscured by letter-boxing (for example, the water is moving in the Utopia scene and there is actually a laser moving in the disintegration shot even though in the final shot you can only see the laser).  Also, quite a lot of the lighting was actually done in camera (the disintegration laser and final reveal shots come to mind as being especially difficult lighting wise).  As for the film seeming cliche until the end, yes, that was intended.  We wanted people to think they knew where it was going and then throw them for a loop.

rioforce wrote:

I didn't find any of the mod elements, though. You must have hidden them well.

They are there. mini/smile Keep a close eye out for the letter 'N' in the superstructure of a building, or the colors touching each other in the corner of a pan shot.  We didn't want them to be too obvious, as we didn't want to take away from the atmosphere we were trying to create.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Yes!
Long time no see, how's Squire coming along?

It wasn't until the end that I realized the fun in this short.
The visual effects, sets and color-correction are all very well done, you impress as always. The use of both mini-scale and large-scale sets gave it a great look, and one that made a lot of sense later on. The effects/CGI are great for only have twenty-four hours. Did you have anything already modeled, or was it all from scratch?

"The Squire and the Scroll" is coming along just fine (but very slowly).  Our composer is working on the music for the first part right now, but life is keeping both him and us very busy, so it has been hard to find time to work on it for any large amount of time recently.

Thanks for noticing the use of miniatures.  We considered making a digital city, but we decided that we didn't want our entire film to be digital so we opted to construct one ourselves.  While this was a bit more time consuming, we felt it made the film more visceral and less digital (even though there are a lot of visual effects in the rest of it).  Also, in answer to your question about effects and CGI, we do model and design everything you see in the film in twenty-four hours (minus the CG earth model with I created several years ago).  The spacecraft and the stasis pods are all created, animated, and rendered within the time limit.  We feel its more of a challenge and also puts less restraints on our creative process if we create everything during the production and don't use pre-made models or props.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BuilderBrothers/signatures/thac14sig.png

The cgi work continues to impress me. I love the twist you added. Awesome entry.

I really loved this!  Your lighting, animation, effects, voice, and music all combined to create a very surreal atmosphere, and the ending was quite unexpected. Nice job, guys!

Some of the THAC entries this year that I enjoyed don't seem to have lots of animation but are excellent nonetheless (this one and Sean's for example).  It seems that these animators chose to spend their limited time in focusing on other aspects of storytelling such as the music, lighting, or effects.  This diversity is one reason I love THAC.

Great entry.  Stylistically and in terms of structure it reminds me a lot of The Grand Stratagem, which isn't too surprising I suppose. The CGI looks great and is well-integrated with the rest of the film, though I'd agree that there doesn't seem to be all that much stop-motion animation per se (at least at first glance).  The bit at the end was really funny and totally unexpected for me; I think you did a great job of building up expectations and then throing in a plot twist in the end.  Great job!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I would have just loved this if it had been made before The Grand Stratagem.  However on it's own it is really good.  Like all the films you made recently, it looks great.  I just wish you made something more different than The Grand Stratagem.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way.  It's a kinda cool film, but follows too much the same thing as your others, and it's also way too VFX heavy.  I feel like it needs to be more natural, more real.

Though this doesn’t seem to be as favorable of a viewpoint here, I think that working with CGI and digital effects in brickfilms is becoming quite a useful skill-set, especially considering it's increasing presence in the professional industry.  If you can tie it in with stop-motion animation like you have been, then good for you and keep it up!

The mini-scale sets were well done, but I can’t help but think that more signs of a scuffle on a minor scale, such as  close ups on ruins, would help the atmosphere you were trying to create. Details such as the flickering lights and fluctuating numbers on the hologram screen were great though.  It’s great to see something this polished-looking for a THAC.

P.S. Btw guys, Grand Stratagem was well received by most people and judges, but they didn’t place as well, so maybe they’re trying the same strategy (see what I did there?) hoping for better placement.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/NeXTCube/Signatures/david_sig_copy.png

Reminds me of a chilling crossover between Interstellar and Jurassic Park. It was pretty interesting how there were no minifigures used in this entry, however. Awesome job, Builder Brothers!

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I enjoyed this entry for the technical work. I think the CG looks pretty good, especially the spaceship shot, and the sense of style and atmosphere in this short is pretty convincing to me.

It did seem a little familiar compared to Grand Stratagem, admittedly. It would be nice to see something that has more of a story with characters instead of relying on a narrative framing device, which felt a little like a way to jam as many cool visual effects in as you could.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png