Re: 2015 Community Brickfilm Project Discussion

Nathan Wells wrote:

I'm not sold on the time travel aspect.

While I agree with you for the most part (something more 'real world' would be quite refreshing) time travel done right could be an interesting way of involving mutliple animators.

Then again, you could easily transfer that to simply seeing one object or person throughout time, and not involve any fantasy elements. For instance, watching someone grow up, or seeing inventors throughout time trying to build the same design, but only the lattermost succeeds as the technology around them progresses.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I will throw in my last two cents now, then I'll shut up. Here's my idea. It's not as simple as you'd think, but the community seems to want to stab at something more complex.

The Beautiful Face of Christian Gentry Spoke wrote:

It follows the life of a man (or woman) who encounters things beyond even your everyday imagination, excluding weekends. As mishaps and adventure strike, the audience sees how the man, or woman, handles these situations. It's broad enough to twist and obscure, yet with a solid enough foundation that can be built into a film where every event isn't just a few seconds, but 5 (or 10) minutes in time. Each event can be done by one or more animator(s).

So yeah, it's nothing good or fancy, but that's what I got. I'm not saying to make each event 5 minutes, but it's a broad enough idea to do so.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

As the person who produced Cleaning Time, I feel like I can give some good advice based on our experience.  Well, I don't know if it's good, but it's definitely advice.  Take what you will.  Feel free to ignore.

Producer
You have to have a boss.  And the boss has to be dedicated to getting the project finished, even if it means kicking people off the project who aren't producing.  It's a real drag when 6 months goes by without anything being done because one person is dragging their feet.  Plus, the longer things go without anything happening, the more likely other members are to lose interest and become procrastinators themselves.  When people sign up to help, it has to be with the understanding that they'll be kicked off if they fail to do their part.

Writing
Don't do it here in this thread.  Assemble a writing team with a leader.  Someone has to be the head writer, and that person has to organize meetings and delegate responsibilities to the other writers.  Allowing individual animators to make creative choices can definitely work, and it's valid, but that makes the project more of a collage of individual shorts and less of a truly cooperative effort towards a solid, single effort.

Animating
Have an animating team with a head animator.  Notice a theme?  Stylistic choices, such as colors, angles, and part selection can be made by this group to ensure a consistent look and that everyone has the pieces available.  Be sure to give each animator a small enough chunk of work to increase the likelihood that they'll complete it and to keep any single animator from dominating the look and feel of the film.

Sound, Voice, and Music
A single person should be all that's needed to coordinate sound.  They can find any voice actors that are needed.  They can source music, possibly having original material made by capable members of the community.  It's definitely enough work to keep someone busy.

Keep the Teams Separate
Other than the producer, no one person should be involved in too many aspects of the project, or else it won't be a community project.  If one person does a lot of the animating, sound, and writing, then what you have is that person's project with other people helping.  The best way to get a product that is truly an amalgamation of everyone's talent is to erect barriers that prevent an individual's creative influence from dominating.

The idea is to produce a film that feels unlike anything that any of the individuals would be capable of creating themselves.  Otherwise we're just looking at a gallery of individual projects or something that looks like what one or two dominant participants could have created themselves.

In addition to a purer creative product, keeping the teams separate and the roles clearly defined forces people to use a skill that you rarely have to use for individual projects, which is communication.  The writers must clearly communicate their ideas to each other and to the other teams, while ensuring that they're not loading individuals up with too much work or ignoring others.  The animators must clearly communicate with each other, and they must work from someone else's written ideas, rather from what they see in their own minds.  These are not muscles we flex often when we are sequestered in our basements working on our own projects.  I think it's a fun way to work.

That's all I have to say about that.

Oh yeah, I guess I do have more to say.

Let the writing team work out what the thing should be about.  Just use this thread to look for a team.  It's a lot more fun for everyone watching when they know very little about what's coming.  Don't let the animators in on what they'll be animating until the script is nearly finished.  etc.  MORE FUN.

OK, THAT's all I have to say.  For now.

Thanks for all the great advice Revman!
It's great to hear from one who has tried this kind of thing before, and I'm sure it'll help things a lot.

I'd like to help in some capacity, though nothing too big what with college and everything going on right now.
Writing is fun, and probably the best thing I can help with right now. You know...if you're looking for volunteers. mini/wink

I like this idea of a community project!

To go along with Gentrystudios was saying (At least the way that I interpreted it), I think a smaller less-complicated story would be good to start with. This way, you could see who, out of the group of participants, is a good worker and good communicator. Then a larger and/or more complicated story could be done with a selected group of the people who were to most helpful/responsive during the first film.

Note: This would only be helpful if you were planning on having a few community projects.

I do like the story line that Rioforce's brain came up with. I think that it wouldn't be overly complicated, and would be fun to animate. (Also, very adjustable to people's skill levels)

Edit: I completely missed the fact that there was a second page when I posted this. After reading what RevMen said, I agree with him.

Last edited by Rivvm m (January 20, 2015 (06:05pm))

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8

Wow, thank you RevMen for the advice. I will definitely listen to it and not ignore it. It's nice to get advice from someone who has done this before. I am definitely listening to what you and Nathan are saying. Oh yea, I'm listening to all the others too, but mostly you two. mini/tongue

I think I will take your advice about the teams. I'm going to edit the topic post with a list of jobs available, and going to start calling volunteers. Here it goes:

Writers Needed!

If anyone wishes to be a writer, please PM me and I will give you directions from there. If you would like to be a writer, I wish to see your work as a writer. There are limited spots for writers, so please do not be offended if you are not chosen. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

This looks cool. Its a big responsibility doing something like this. And I hope it works well for you. I have some thoughts on picking the animation, What if you did a contest every week or month with the scene that needs filmed. That way you get the footage in a reasonable amount of time, you don't have to kick people off, and you you don't offend any people. Most people don't mind losing a contest but getting kicked off might be a little harsh feeling. Don't know, just some thoughts and things to think about. You don't want people feeling like you're the bad guy for kicking them off. Its part of the game but you might want to think about how people will feel after this is all done. Edit Oh and also it might be hard to get people helping if they feel like your being controlling and or harsh. Now we both know that your not being controlling or harsh but if some one feels like that, they might start talking about it, and it might be hard to get this working again. Just some things to think about.

Hope that helps
OsomStudios

Last edited by osomstudios (January 21, 2015 (02:07pm))

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Sorry but I don't think that sounds like a good idea. I don't think it would be better to make people go to the effort of making a scene before rejecting them when you could just pick a team from the start. Hosting different contests would also mean there wouldn't be a unified animation team and there couldn't be as good discussions on look and style.

I agree with Penta. To judge whether the animator will be on the team will be a tricky process, but will be based on previous brickfilming experience and skill. Not everyone will make the cut, but if we want a quality video, that's the way it will be.

YouTubeWebsite

I'll help with whatever I can, If you want me too.

Real Love is Sacrifice, a choice to Love others more then yourself and to put their needs before yours.

rafael9522 wrote:

I'll help with whatever I can, If you want me too.

Same.

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube

I have an idea for how something could work.

I would suggest making a story custom built for the brickfilmers involved.  First, select the brickfilmers that are going to be part of it, then find out what settings those brickfilmers could render more easily.  Then try to make a film where the number of scenes is equal to the number of settings there are, each animator would then only make one of these scenes, trying there best to make there set look really nice.  Since these different settings would be separated from each other, the difference in style twixt themselves would be significantly less apparent.

For example, this story could be about several different groups in space-ships.  Since each ship is run but I different culture, their interiors should all feel especially different.

You could also possibly have one or two characters jump from multiple scenes, and it's quite likely that there are some pieces at least common to what each other brickfilmer has.

However, I would suggest keeping the number of animators involved to a maximum of five, maybe six, as to keep stuff consistent.  The story should likely be written based upon what those animators feel they can do, and what characters or themes they can all build easily.
I would suggest hand picking this team, as the level of skill needs to be relatively consistent in this aspect of the film or else one section might feel of with the rest.

Of course, to emphasize the community aspect of the film, I feel like a lot of other people could help in non-animation regards, such as voicing, story, and sound.  We could perhaps even create specific characters intentionally made for certain actors with good mics interested in the project to build up an impressive cast.

Since I'm deep in Darkmoor right now, and will be for some time, I'm not quite sure that I have the time to spare even for a small scene with this gigantic set in the way.  However, I'd be happy to offer story ideas to the animators and I would like to voice some characters.
I also think that film might benefit from my entirely custom sound library.  I could also perhaps make some more sounds specifically for the project.

That's a very good idea, Squid. I was already going to be hand-picking the animators, but your theory of doing the animators before the story sounds interesting. I'll present this idea to the team to see what they think. Though, the maximum of five animators would make the process much easier, I'm unsure how that would work out. But like I said, I'm going to present it to the current team members.

The custom sound effects would really make the film top-notch, so when we get to that stage, I'll definitely be contacting you. If you would like to be added to the writing team, Squid, please PM me. mini/smile

Last edited by rioforce (January 23, 2015 (11:29am))

YouTubeWebsite

I say a lot more in the writer's forum, but I think this is an important excerpt:

The most important thing here to remember is story is king. Story is the horse, animators are the cart. We don't want to put the cart before the horse.

Nathan Wells wrote:

I say a lot more in the writer's forum, but I think this is an important excerpt:

The most important thing here to remember is story is king. Story is the horse, animators are the cart. We don't want to put the cart before the horse.

True, but you want to make sure that the horse and cart are compatible.

YouTube

No, you find a horse that works for the cart. You don't break the cart to fit a lame horse.

My point is, the story needs to be figured out first before anything else. Yes, certain limitations should be taken into consideration (such as avoiding any scenes that require massive cityscapes blowing up), but at this point in the process, we should be FREE to consider almost all possibilities. There is an order to this process, and you can't just swap things around.

Idea > Story > Storyboard > Line recording > Set building > Animating > Rough Cut > Reshoots > Editing > Sound Design > Music > Final Cut

It HAS to go in this order.

^ Truth right there. Heed this advice Rio!

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Nathan Wells wrote:

I say a lot more in the writer's forum

We have a writer's forum?

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

Thanks Nathan,
I appreciate the correction. mini/smile As I know and you can probably tell, I'm still quite new to animation, so all the advice I get is helpful.

YouTube