Topic: The Challenge: Level 1 (Backflip)

Directory Link

The Challenge: Level 1 (Backflip)

YouTube Land

The Challenge is a new series, involving a guy called Sam who is instructed to do various challenges in order to pass to the next level. In level 1, Sam must successfully land a backflip.

Let me know what you think
(P.s. Steve is the man of all accents... don't judge!)

Re: The Challenge: Level 1 (Backflip)

Great job on the backflip, as well as the opening hat flip.
Both movements are smooth, and the masking is flawless. Little details like the hat flip, while they take a lot of work, add quite a bit to the film. Although the camera movement may not have been necessary.

It feels that, for so simple a short, it needed to be condensed a bit. It felt over-long just to set up the "levels" concept and execute the flip. Some of the framing could have been better balanced, and the camera angles were mostly straight-on and flat, which didn't add much visual appeal to the scenes.

Sam's voice is good, but Steve's just doesn't sound as great, and his delivery of some lines killed a bit of the humor.

I don't think the flaws are in the concept, or even in the writing so much. But the execution can make or break so simple a concept, and this does need a bit more inventiveness in how it's shot and performed to stick out among similar videos that are out there.

Re: The Challenge: Level 1 (Backflip)

Thanks for the feedback Pritchard. I'll try adding a few different camera angles next time, and make sure none of the scenes go on for any longer than they have to be. I think I may have to experiment with my camera shots a bit more, and I'll definitely need to improve on Steve's voice...

Again, I really appreciate your feedback. It helps a lot