Topic: Stalker: Mirror of Conscience

Directory Link

Stalker: Mirror of Conscience

youtube

Set in the post-apocaliptic world sourced from the movie "Stalker" by Andrej Tarkovskij and the novel "roadside picnic" by the Strugackij brothers, Stalker: Mirror of Conscience follows an outlaw and a supposed philantropist on their journey through the Zone, a restricted area where strange, deadly anomalies can occur, toward a mirror capable of showing the inner look of a man's soul.

After more than a year of work, I am glad to be able to finally release this project of mine, that though not perfect, I consider my best work for now. If you stay until after-credits, you might be surprised.
When I started working on the project, the initial concept was really close to th movie by tarkovskij, even featuring a really similar object of desire. It was a night, when I was in front of a mirror that the idea of having a special mirror came around my mind. When I was younger, and even now sometimes, I get frightened by mirrors because I imagine that I could see my mirror image transforming in something scary. From this came the basic concept of Stalker:Mirror of Conscience. An interesting question that the movie brings up might be: are we truly what we think of ourselves?

Note: the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. videogame series is not a basis for this movie, though this movie is based on the same inspirational sources of the game. Therefore the zone as depicted in the movie has no particular geographical location.

Also, please rate the film. I don't want to sound wrong, but it's frustrating to see 0 ratings on a work...

Last edited by LegoStudiosP (September 4, 2015 (03:14am))

Re: Stalker: Mirror of Conscience

Please, take some minutes and do your constructive criticism

I really liked the feel this film gives you when watched. It's a very cool feeling few brickfilms have done at the level you're at. The world is also very interesting, along with the story, but really, really, under explained. Your animation and the camera was choppy, and there were some shots (as in the long pans of frames to reveal the dog) which I had no idea what was happening. It was also very drawn out and very confusing until the after credits thing.

However, there was lots of stuff I Liked about this film. As mentioned before, the feel is very cool. The idea of the mirror and the area called "The Zone" (which if I remember right was never mentioned in the actual film) was pretty cool and had some neat sets. My personal favorite thing about "the zone," was the idea of the railroad tracks going everywhere. It really appeals to the human side of "the zone," making it not seem like a version of hell or a chunk of land trying to kill people.

All in all, I enjoyed it.

Last edited by Mosh5256 (September 5, 2015 (04:55pm))

This is a tough film to review. I want to give it a good review because you spent a long time working on it. You no doubt have learned a lot about animation from working on this project, and I do look forward to your next film, because I'm sure all of the lessons you've learned will come across in it.

So, here we go.

I've watched your film twice now, and I've read the synopsis of both the movie and the book in order to understand what you were referencing in your brickfilm. Before your film, I had never heard of Stalker or Roadside Picnic.

I don't like having to do research just to understand what I'm watching. Neither does the average viewer.
This is the reason why most people don't say anything about your film. They simply don't "get" it.

The decision to make a film that references something else or a concept that someone else has come up with, presents a problem.
YOU CAN... Reference the source material too heavily and it makes your work unrecognizable except to the audience of people who have seen or know about the source material. - OR - Use elements of the source material that are more accessible to the average viewer and treat the source material with a "light touch" which will offend anyone who is a die hard fan of the source material, but it will be more easily understood by everyone else. - OR - You can pick and choose the elements necessary to tell your story but insert a tremendous amount of exposition to make sure that the source material is explained to anyone who doesn't know about it, which results in a movie that is comprehensible but very boring for all of your viewers.

My point is that there is no "right" way to make a film like what you've made. It's an uphill battle on all sides.

From my perspective the best option when making a film that references some other work is to give your audience first consideration.
Who will be watching this?
What is their exposure to the source material?
How much do I have to explain to get them to understand what is happening?
In what way do I explain it (visually or with dialogue)? Film is your media, visually will often be the better choice.
How much of the source material am I going to use? This is key. If your audience is a crowd of people who love the source material, then you are pretty safe referencing quite a bit of the source material. If the audience is primarily unaware of the source material, then it is probably safer to keep it simple.

So, my question for you to think about, is... who is your audience?

Moving on-

Looking at your film from an animation stand point, there were a lot of moments that I had a hard time understanding because there wasn't enough clarity in your camera angles, visual action, and smoothness of your animation (Frames per second).
It's about visual storytelling and communication.

I do want to say, I understand that you have worked on this project for over a year, so I'm sure that your film making skills improved as you worked on it. But I don't know what parts were filmed at the start of your animation on this and which ones were filmed toward the end of your project. So from my viewpoint it might as well all have been shot at the same time.

Your opening scene (which is the way you captivate your audience) has only one camera angle through the whole shot. And it is not up close and personal with your characters, so as a viewer I'm not connecting with them emotionally. In fact your angle is up and looking down at them, which distances them from me as a viewer. I am also getting bored because it isn't changing. As a comparison I did a search for "two guys talking in a bar" on youtube and there was a Key and Peele video that popped up (comedians). Their skit lasted three minutes, but they switched camera angles about 40 TIMES. Granted that is a lot, and they have live actors and multiple cameras so for them to shoot the scene and use that many angle changes is a lot less complicated than for an animator. My point though is variance. Keep things changing and the viewer won't get bored.

I also want to point out something you did well! Instead of having them get up and walk out of the bar (the way so many films do on BiM), you simply cut to the next scene (which was a pan up shot and it was visually refreshing) I get tired of watching films that focus on showing characters walking out of a scene, not because it is important (helps transition from one scene to another) but simply because they want to show their ability to animate. The other good choice you made was using camera movement at the start of the next shot. It can help bring your story to life more, particularly when you choose to use it at the right times.

What would have been nice was an establishing shot of the guards and the fence, and a pan to the Stalker and Philanthropist getting ready in the shadows. It tells where they are, whats happening, and what they're getting ready to do. The more visual communication you use, the less dialogue you have to write. Also, your camera moves and your animation in general is not especially smooth. This is where practice comes in. Animation requires patience, and if you rush it, it's not going to look as good as you envision it in your mind's eye. The rest of the scene I visually enjoyed, although there was A LOT of light flicker.

Your next scene had some set bumps (it happens to everyone) but I didn't understand what was up with the sun being green. The characters talk about it, but I couldn't understand the Philanthropist through the accent. I realize you did the voice for it, and the accent worked for the character, but perhaps some subtitles would have helped. When directing and using accents, it can be a challenge choosing how thick an accent needs to be for a character, and whether it requires subtitles or not. Unless your actor is REALLY good at acting, forcing your audience to read a character's dialogue isn't always a good idea. Also, why was only part of the sunset green? Is there a force field around the zone that causes that? I'm assuming it's because of the source material.

The screw is a reference to the source material I'm sure. But it really isn't necessary, especially since in the next scene the Stalker yells "Run, Run Away!" and they completely ignore the use of the screw altogether, but nothing bad happens as result of their ignoring the screw. If you introduce a concept that confines characters to a certain behavior it is usually a clue to something dramatic that will happen later because of a character deliberately or unintentionally disregarding the behavior. It's a cliche used often in movies, but using it creatively can add to the enjoyment of your film. Ignoring the guideline makes the film seem poorly constructed.

The jelly scene I know is based on your source material (from having read the synopsis of the book). The jelly bit exposition was really not necessary for the story you were telling about the characters. A simple, "Don't touch that! - Why? - Just trust me." would have sufficed. The glowing floor effect was a neat idea, though the characters were difficult to see in the dark.

The next scene with the mitchbillers? (can't tell what he called them) and the hot burning death... didn't work well. The stalker says something about some creatures I guess, and says they have to move quickly. We didn't even get to see the creatures, so I (as a viewer) don't even believe the stalker is telling the truth. Them going through the "hot arid spot" was also reliant on the actors moaning loudly. I get that it is a tough thing to show with Lego, and needed some thought put into showing them in pain as they crawled through the hot spot. Also, the hot spot was small, they could have probably walked around it. The whole scene needed more visual re-working and visual planning.

I assume that the tracks are deserted because it's illegal to even be in "the zone."

Why was there whispering of quoted scripture? I get that there's a dog following them. Through repetition that became clear (good!). But why was the next scene a bunch of still shots of an otherwise unintelligible landscape? The keyboard? the woods being zoomed in on? It made no sense, and it ate up 2 whole minutes of the film!

I like the set leading into the "meatgrinder" where they look down the tunnel. It was a nice angle and shot.

The one after that where they walk through the meatgrinder was just them in front of a wall with varying Lego pieces used in its construction. The blade he mentions isn't even in the shot! Is it invisible? As a viewer I'm becoming more and more convinced that the stalker is just making everything up.

The next shot where everything is overgrown is pretty cool - minus the set bump.

What was up with them in the building and the door closing and opening? I have no idea what's going on.

Neat sets. And now we're in the mirror room. Cool. This scene (with the flash back) is probably your strongest animation, visual storytelling, and written dialogue. Nice work on this scene! Which is good because it is also the climax of your story. You could almost cut out the rest of the story and just use this scene as it's own short film because it stands so well on its own.

Why is he wearing a helmet in the mirror? Is he a viking? I get that he's not a monster, but what is he?

Lastly the final scene where he sets a shard of the mirror on the table works really well too, except that it would have been nice to actually SEE him take the mirror piece.

Also, your music was well chosen. Audio recording needed some work.

I want to be clear, your film is not bad.

The bottom line is, you tackled a very difficult concept and it included a lot of references to something that most people haven't watched or seen, which means you're working on an adaptation of someone else's work. Even a lot of professional hollywood filmmakers can't do that. That type of filmmaking is (as far as I'm concerned) classified as Expert Level. You're still learning, and you're not quite ready to tackle something that complex. But then again, the best way to learn is by doing. And you DID IT! Nice work. Keep practicing. Clean up the light flicker and set bumps. Smooth out your animation, and put more time and thought into how to visually make a scene understandable, and you'll be making great films in no time!

I hope my comments are helpful for your continued improvement.
-Nate S.
(That took almost 3 hours to write - whew!)

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

nswihart wrote:

Also, why was only part of the sunset green? Is there a force field around the zone that causes that?

The screw is a reference to the source material I'm sure. But it really isn't necessary, especially since in the next scene the Stalker yells "Run, Run Away!" and they completely ignore the use of the screw altogether

The jelly scene I know is based on your source material (from having read the synopsis of the book). The jelly bit exposition was really not necessary for the story you were telling about the characters. A simple, "Don't touch that! - Why? - Just trust me." would have sufficed. The glowing floor effect was a neat idea, though the characters were difficult to see in the dark.

The next scene with the mitchbillers? (can't tell what he called them) and the hot burning death... didn't work well. The stalker says something about some creatures I guess, and says they have to move quickly. We didn't even get to see the creatures, so I (as a viewer) don't even believe the stalker is telling the truth. Them going through the "hot arid spot" was also reliant on the actors moaning loudly. I get that it is a tough thing to show with Lego, and needed some thought put into showing them in pain as they crawled through the hot spot. Also, the hot spot was small, they could have probably walked around it. The whole scene needed more visual re-working and visual planning.

Why was there whispering of quoted scripture? I get that there's a dog following them. Through repetition that became clear (good!). But why was the next scene a bunch of still shots of an otherwise unintelligible landscape? The keyboard? the woods being zoomed in on? It made no sense, and it ate up 2 whole minutes of the film!

I like the set leading into the "meatgrinder" where they look down the tunnel. It was a nice angle and shot.

The one after that where they walk through the meatgrinder was just them in front of a wall with varying Lego pieces used in its construction. The blade he mentions isn't even in the shot! Is it invisible? As a viewer I'm becoming more and more convinced that the stalker is just making everything up.

What was up with them in the building and the door closing and opening? I have no idea what's going on.

Why is he wearing a helmet in the mirror? Is he a viking? I get that he's not a monster, but what is he?

I cannot thank you enough for taking all of that time to actually do a such detailed review about this film. I find that really delightful that someone took all of this time to help out with all the ideas of how some scenes could have been better. I certainly will be more careful on these things in my next works.

As I've seen you highlighted some stuff that might not have been understandable in the movie, I got here the answer- though most of the thing revolves around the source material, as you yourself stated, and I chose to skip those things you got right by your deduction.

First of all: The partly-green sunset. I've read in the novel a mention of the sunrise being greenish, so I came up with my personal idea of putting a green coloured sunset. As the Philanthropist and the stalker are still in a place that is close to the zone's border. Therefore, I thought,  if outside the zone you have a normal sunset, and inside the zone a green coloured sunset (and sunrise, as could be seen later in the film), on the border of the zone you might see both.
Next: The screw. Exactly, source-material. But you might have missed that the Stalker mentions right before they enter the cemetery that they don't need there screws anymore. outside the cemetery, they get to use screws again, until they reach the railway, from where they don't need these screws again. This is difficult to deduce, but apparently this confirms that inside the zones there are only certain places where the gravity concentrations, nicknamed "midge-pillars" (my personal rough translation from the hungarian name given in the book, as I've read the book in hungarian) are concentrated only in certain places they need to get through.

So... the burning death. That said, those "Mitchbillers" where the "midge-pillars" mentioned in the sunset scene. Not come kind of creatures, but more likely Phenomenas that can appear anytime, and make the zone a deadly place. That is why they have to pass through the burning death.
Said that, I understand and accept all the issues you brought up about the tecnical side of the scene.

The whispering scripture scene is a complete tribute to a very similar scene in Tarkovskij's movie "Stalker", including the dog and everything else. Also acts as a separation between the night-time part of the film and the daytime part.

The meatgrinder. The meatgrinder, as most of the other things in the zone, is supposed to be something nobody understood what exactly is. Just as the Stalker mentioned, not even by witnessing the death of a man inside the grinder he could understand how exactly he died.
He uses the term "Blade" to identify the phenomenon they can hear the sound of, but is beyond their understanding. Side note: The idea of the stalker making everything up is actually one of the themes in Tarkovskij's original film. If I got in the viewer that idea, then I am glad for it.

The building where they're inside is apparently one of the places they get through inside the city.
I used that scene as an experiment for how to make a certain way of shooting a scene that I am still developing, and to give some kind of terror to the audience. Why is the door closing and opening? Is it the wind... or something else?

Finally, the scene with the helmet in the mirror. I agree that it might give confusion, originally the Stalker was intended to be clad in a full golden armor, to give him a knight-ish look, therefore make understand the audience that actually he's the one who's got a noble soul, opposite to the philanthropist. I also would add that I didn't include the scene he takes off the piece of the mirror because I wanted to give some additional thing that the viewers would try to understand better.

I actually thought most of these would be deductible, but I understand that they're not that easy to notice. Overall: Thanks for taking all this time and certainly giving me the push I might needed to understand what should I change, and how, also bringing up these facts that might other people find difficult to understand. You started with a question: what audience is this directed to?
I thought of this, and ehe answer is: first of all of course to fans of the original works, but this is also meant to get interested in these works those people who might didn't know about them, because I find both the movie directed by Tarkovskij and the novel absolute masterpieces that deserve more attention than what they get. mini/smile

Mosh5256 wrote:

I really liked the feel this film gives you when watched. It's a very cool feeling few brickfilms have done at the level you're at. The world is also very interesting, along with the story, but really, really, under explained. Your animation and the camera was choppy, and there were some shots (as in the long pans of frames to reveal the dog) which I had no idea what was happening. It was also very drawn out and very confusing until the after credits thing.

However, there was lots of stuff I Liked about this film. As mentioned before, the feel is very cool. The idea of the mirror and the area called "The Zone" (which if I remember right was never mentioned in the actual film) was pretty cool and had some neat sets. My personal favorite thing about "the zone," was the idea of the railroad tracks going everywhere. It really appeals to the human side of "the zone," making it not seem like a version of hell or a chunk of land trying to kill people.

All in all, I enjoyed it.

Thank you for your comment. That was exactly what I was aiming at.

My pleasure! I like to help out anyone and everyone.
I also missed mentioning this in my original review, but I particularly liked your idea to use the same world and concepts from the film and book but use your own idea of a mirror as an object in the zone that is investigated. Nice touch!

Also, I'm not certain I'm really the best person to review a film like this because my own interest in film is a lot more superficial and entertainment based. I do like visual communication and the mastery of it, but I don't exactly revel in thought-provoking film. Case-in-point, one of my all-time favorite films is "The Lego Movie."

I wanted to make another reply, but it took me a few days before I had time to sit down and type it out. So here I go again!

LegoStudiosP wrote:

First of all: The partly-green sunset. I've read in the novel a mention of the sunrise being greenish, so I came up with my personal idea of putting a green coloured sunset. As the Philanthropist and the stalker are still in a place that is close to the zone's border. Therefore, I thought,  if outside the zone you have a normal sunset, and inside the zone a green coloured sunset (and sunrise, as could be seen later in the film), on the border of the zone you might see both.

I understand now what you were trying to do, but the very fact that it was a bit confusing means it wasn't communicated clearly. You were going for something like this but for that to be true, it means that the camera is exactly ON the border between the zone and normality. If you notice, even in the photo the image is disorienting. The only reason we know what we're looking at is because everyone is familiar with the separation between water and air. The separation between normality and the zone is far more abstract. To carry the concept through to the viewer, we as directors have to do the extra leg-work and bridge that gap of understanding. It's a cool concept and if you had had them walk through some barrier/bubble and the sun turns green as they pass through, that would have been REALLY cool! It also would have been difficult to do. mini/wink

LegoStudiosP wrote:

Next: The screw. Exactly, source-material. But you might have missed that the Stalker mentions right before they enter the cemetery that they don't need there screws anymore. outside the cemetery, they get to use screws again, until they reach the railway, from where they don't need these screws again. This is difficult to deduce, but apparently this confirms that inside the zones there are only certain places where the gravity concentrations, nicknamed "midge-pillars" (my personal rough translation from the hungarian name given in the book, as I've read the book in hungarian) are concentrated only in certain places they need to get through.

You're right, I did miss his comment. It still feels jarring to me though. He goes from introducing the concept of needing the screw and then we jump to the next scene where he says, "okay we don't need it here". It's a strange and sudden change. I'm guessing that you cut a scene or two (when the screw was being used) before going to the graveyard scene. C'est la vie!

LegoStudiosP wrote:

Side note: The idea of the stalker making everything up is actually one of the themes in Tarkovskij's original film. If I got in the viewer that idea, then I am glad for it.

I started watching the original film (trying to find the part where he first introduces the screw) and something that stood out to me is how strong that feeling of skepticism is. I'm convinced that the Stalker is making everything up in order to boost his own self-worth. The zone is a land where he can be king, because he is valueless everywhere else.

I will say I'm intrigued by the movie as a means of philosophical debate. I would liken the film to the dialogues written by Aristotle or Plato. A lot of talk. The dialogue itself is merely a method of conveying those ideas. Of course Aristotle can answer the questions that the student asks in his paper... because Aristotle wrote the question for the answer! Nonetheless it is interesting. What I find captivating in the film is the stillness and pace. Your film is a slice of that feeling, but to truly capture it, it would take a lot more time. The film also carries a strong sense of space. Outside when they first enter the zone by track, the hills around them are wide open. I also like the use of fog as a function of creating a feeling of mystery. Through the meatgrinder and into the space outside the room are all very real in the way they feel.

I think your set building definitely helped to carry that similar sense of place. The nut in the original film is almost a way to explore the place that they are in. Whereas the screw you use in your rendition is more a tool for the story.

LegoStudiosP wrote:

Finally, the scene with the helmet in the mirror. I agree that it might give confusion, originally the Stalker was intended to be clad in a full golden armor, to give him a knight-ish look, therefore make understand the audience that actually he's the one who's got a noble soul, opposite to the philanthropist. I also would add that I didn't include the scene he takes off the piece of the mirror because I wanted to give some additional thing that the viewers would try to understand better.

I realize that was your goal with the helmet, but being that this is Lego, and the helmet he is wearing is recognized as a viking helmet it carries a very different meaning from my perspective. Vikings in American pop-culture are often presented as violent/malicious folk (regardless of the historical truth that they were simply a society of people like anywhere else) so a viking helmet would almost suggest the opposite of being chivalrous.

In regards to the mirror, after some reflection (pun intended) I realized what bothers me is not so much that we the viewers don't see him take a piece of the mirror, so much as that what he sets on the table is a Lego piece that is very obviously NOT a piece of the mirror. THEN we see from the girl's perspective a piece of the mirror sitting on the table. I think if he set a piece of glass on the table instead of that Lego piece, it would have communicated better.

LegoStudiosP wrote:

I actually thought most of these would be deductible, but I understand that they're not that easy to notice. Overall: Thanks for taking all this time and certainly giving me the push I might needed to understand what should I change, and how, also bringing up these facts that might other people find difficult to understand. You started with a question: what audience is this directed to?
I thought of this, and the answer is: first of all of course to fans of the original works, but this is also meant to get interested in these works those people who might didn't know about them, because I find both the movie directed by Tarkovskij and the novel absolute masterpieces that deserve more attention than what they get. mini/smile

I think your mission of spreading interest in the original film worked in my case. But it took me quite a bit to get there. And when I first watched your film, the last thing I was interested in doing was watch the original. If I had been given the task of creating a story based within the world of Stalker, I might have focused on very different things than what you chose. It felt like the things you chose were situations and places that would have been very visual for the purpose of making an action film, but the original Stalker is most definitely not an action film. It's like "fitting a square peg into a round hole" as they say.

Your scene in the room with the mirror is probably the most reminiscent of the film Stalker in that it approaches a very existential subject rather than a physical subject. Nice work!

Keep it up, and I look forward to watching more of your films!

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

Your replies always require me re-replying because fo their lenght. mini/XD

nswihart wrote:

My pleasure! I also missed mentioning this in my original review, but I particularly liked your idea to use the same world and concepts from the film and book but use your own idea of a mirror as an object in the zone that is investigated. Nice touch!

If you want an extended explanation of how I got the idea, the're's one in my video description.

nswihart wrote:

, I'm not certain I'm really the best person to review a film like this because my own interest in film is a lot more superficial and entertainment based. I do like visual communication and the mastery of it, but I don't exactly revel in thought-provoking film. Case-in-point, one of my all-time favorite films is "The Lego Movie."

Yet you totally got both pros and cons of the movie in a very good manner. So don't worry.

nswihart wrote:

To carry the concept through to the viewer, we as directors have to do the extra leg-work and bridge that gap of understanding. It's a cool concept and if you had had them walk through some barrier/bubble and the sun turns green as they pass through, that would have been REALLY cool! It also would have been difficult to do. mini/wink

I never thought of that, if I must be honest. That scene was one of those that I imagined exactly like that, visuals and everything, so I never questioned it. Homever your idea of how to explain the thing visually is so good that I'll certainly attempt to include it whenever I do a sequel to the film.
(depending on this one's success)

nswihart wrote:

I'm guessing that you cut a scene or two (when the screw was being used) before going to the graveyard scene. C'est la vie!

Honsetly, I haven't cut scenes there. That was my original script demanding that, also because I found it impossible otherwise to have them running away from the living dead as they do in this film.

LegoStudiosP wrote:

Side note: The idea of the stalker making everything up is actually one of the themes in Tarkovskij's original film. If I got in the viewer that idea, then I am glad for it.

I started watching the original film (trying to find the part where he first introduces the screw) and something that stood out to me is how strong that feeling of skepticism is. I'm convinced that the Stalker is making everything up in order to boost his own self-worth. The zone is a land where he can be king, because he is valueless everywhere else.

nswihart wrote:

I will say I'm intrigued by the movie as a means of philosophical debate. I would liken the film to the dialogues written by Aristotle or Plato. A lot of talk. Nonetheless it is interesting. What I find captivating in the film is the stillness and pace. Your film is a slice of that feeling, but to truly capture it, it would take a lot more time. The film also carries a strong sense of space. Outside when they first enter the zone by track, the hills around them are wide open. I also like the use of fog as a function of creating a feeling of mystery. Through the meatgrinder and into the space outside the room are all very real in the way they feel.
I think your set building definitely helped to carry that similar sense of place. The nut in the original film is almost a way to explore the place that they are in. Whereas the screw you use in your rendition is more a tool for the story.

So what you said earlier can't be right because if you were 'superficial' there would've been a possibility that you would fall asleep during the film. Thanks for saying this. Yeah, I honestly focused more on a way in-between the book and the movie. On the other hand the book has none of the philosophy related to the movie.

nswihart wrote:

I realize that was your goal with the helmet, but being that this is Lego, and the helmet he is wearing is recognized as a viking helmet it carries a very different meaning from my perspective.

Got that, will be more careful next time. I seriously forgot to bring with me to the place where I did the shooting for that scene, during vacation, a full armor. Next time I'll check more carefully.

nswihart wrote:

In regards to the mirror, after some reflection (pun intended) I realized what bothers me is not so much that we the viewers don't see him take a piece of the mirror, so much as that what he sets on the table is a Lego piece that is very obviously NOT a piece of the mirror. THEN we see from the girl's perspective a piece of the mirror sitting on the table. I think if he set a piece of glass on the table instead of that Lego piece, it would have communicated better.

That's a legitimate complaint I had with myself too. the problem was that I was going to use the same lego piece in green colour to then croma-key the reflection animation, but I opted to a larger piece because I couldn't fit the animation well in the smaller brick. I would like to also outline that not a single real mirror was used in the film.

nswihart wrote:

I think your mission of spreading interest in the original film worked in my case. But it took me quite a bit to get there. And when I first watched your film, the last thing I was interested in doing was watch the original. If I had been given the task of creating a story based within the world of Stalker, I might have focused on very different things than what you chose. It felt like the things you chose were situations and places that would have been very visual for the purpose of making an action film, but the original Stalker is most definitely not an action film. It's like "fitting a square peg into a round hole" as they say.

Your scene in the room with the mirror is probably the most reminiscent of the film Stalker in that it approaches a very existential subject rather than a physical subject. Nice work!

Keep it up, and I look forward to watching more of your films!

I guess that could be seen as a "director's point of view" mini/XD. The fact is that I wanted to do something in-between the movie and the book. If you ever read the book, you'll be able to see that it has a completely different atmosphere than the movie. In the book e.g. Stalkers are depicted as completely criminals, even sadistic in some cases. But I liked the kind of action it involved. ON the other hand, I also liked the philosophical debate that comes in the film. So when I came up with the idea of the Mirror, I decided to include both action-like scenes, mixed with interesting visuals, and slower paced scenes, like the mirror, or the nightmare jelly moment, scenes where we get to know better the main characters. So Stalker: Mirror of Conscience is based on both the things.

Thanks for looking foward for my works! I hope I don't get you and others disappointed. mini/smile