Topic: How Does A Storyboard Help You Make A Brickfilm?

Many brickfilmers use story boarding before they start filming a brickfilm. But what I want to know is how and why does it help you, personally, to make a brickfilm? http://i.imgur.com/qmoo2JI.jpg

Last edited by AgentMichaelScarn22 (January 15, 2017 (06:07pm))

Previously known as Gillcrafter

"I'm not superstitious. But I am a little stitious."
                                                            -Michael Scott

Re: How Does A Storyboard Help You Make A Brickfilm?

If done right, storyboarding gives you a quick overview of the visual flow from shot to shot so you can work out any problems before you spend hours animating a shot and inserting it into a complete edit of your film. If you're familiar with guidelines like the thirty degree rule, some problems in cinematography arise not because the shots are bad individually, but because they don't work well in succession. Storyboarding can help you catch issues like that before you invest a significant amount of time into the shots.

It also lets you focus on what you need to show in each shot to satisfy story requirements so you can prioritize cinematography that benefits your storytelling over just choosing random shots and hoping they capture everything you want.

An added benefit in stopmotion is that you can build sets around your storyboard, meaning you only have to spend time building what you know you want to show.

I do a hybrid storyboard. I tend to take still photo's of lego's in-place and assemble in order to form a storyboard. I'll add dialogue/actions underneath each still so I can visualise what is going on. I'll have a temporary set - or no set, but the camera angles give me an early heads up on the back ground and problems with cameras/lights.

It's actually a cross between a storyboard and a shooting plan and it's essential to my productions.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

That sounds like a great way to get a sense of what camera angles you want; especially if you can't draw those angles just right on a piece of paper. Plus you get a more realistic vision of what your scene looks like

Previously known as Gillcrafter

"I'm not superstitious. But I am a little stitious."
                                                            -Michael Scott

I'm kind of unusual.  I don't storyboard at all.  It's the one stage I skip.  For some reason, when I write the scripts to my films, I see in my head exactly the way I want the shots to be.  What makes it even more unusual is that my brickfilms are 20+ minutes long.  What's even more unusual is that I have an art degree and actually considering being a storyboard artist!

None of this is me being anti-storyboard.  It just is an example that sometimes people are more comfortable doing things in a non-conventional manner.

EDIT: Hey, TogFox!  Do you have storyboards for Mariana?  I'd love to 1) see them, and 2) include some as extra material for the HOO 3 Blu-Ray and DVD!!!  They are always chocked with extras not seen in the videos themselves.

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (January 16, 2017 (05:11pm))

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

@HoldingOurOwn I'm in the same boat. Storyboarding is the stage I skip. I always have a basic idea of how I'm going to shoot my scenes, and quite often decide how I want things to be as I go along. That, however probably doesn't help when it comes to my fight scenes. My next episode of App Man has a lot of fight sequences that are going to be considerably hard to animate. I am thinking about storyboarding just the fight scenes, as I will want them to look as good as possible. But when it comes to scenes of just dialogue, I don't feel like I need much of a storyboard to go by.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

I'm kind of unusual.  I don't storyboard at all.  It's the one stage I skip.  For some reason, when I write the scripts to my films, I see in my head exactly the way I want the shots to be.  What makes it even more unusual is that my brickfilms are 20+ minutes long.  What's even more unusual is that I have an art degree and actually considering being a storyboard artist!

None of this is me being anti-storyboard.  It just is an example that sometimes people are more comfortable doing things in a non-conventional manner.

EDIT: Hey, TogFox!  Do you have storyboards for Mariana?  I'd love to 1) see them, and 2) include some as extra material for the HOO 3 Blu-Ray and DVD!!!  They are always chocked with extras not seen in the videos themselves.

Exactly the same for me, although if an animation is going to be 5+mins, then I need to at the very least make a note of the whole storyline so that I do not forget a key bit.

Storyboards are a tricky one, as while they can really help with organisation, the beauty of not having one is that you can take your animation in any direction very easily by leaving the scenes out to interpretation.

I have only tried using a storyboard 6 times (which basically accounts for about 25% of all animations that I have ever produced), and I am actually using one for the current animation that I am working on!

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?