Topic: [BRAWL 2017] Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel

Directory Link

[BRAWL 2017] Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel

Youtube Link

My entry into BRAWL 2017.

I thought I would try out something a bit more experimental... And not just because that's the contest theme.

Hope you all enjoy!

Re: [BRAWL 2017] Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel

Experimental can work...Soemtimes.

As a series introduction video, it really does work. It tells us everything we need to know, and sells the very concept well.
As a BRAWL video, it's experimental, yes, and so off-the-wall that it kinda falls flat as a piece of entertainment itself.

Still, on to the good and bad.

Good: You sold me on the series. Totally. Hook, line, sinker, entire fishing pole, everything. Great job hyping the interesting concepts and unique aspects of this version of Batman, and presenting that well.

However...

Bad: the script itself was a long, somewhat dull monologue, and as such, it needed spicing up. Sometimes the background antics were fine, but mostly, they were distracting. The main focus was the speech, but often, the antics drew all the attention, distracting from the main purpose.

Also, it would have been awesome to preview a, say, twenty second clip of the series, just to really show off the tone and look. Or maybe even just a picture of the Batsuit, that would have been cool too.

I'm not sure how much experience you have with filming in black and white, and I can tell you, it's tricky sometimes. Especially in balancing the color (Well, lack thereof...) and properly drawing the focus where it needs to be with both framing and lighting. Throughout the film, I found my eyes drifting down, towards the floor, and rarely going back up to see the character's face. The floor was really bright, and the walls were so dark that it naturally attracts the attention downwards. The brickfilming community has produced a number of high-quality noir films that I would suggest you watching, if nothing else, to better understanding the importance of balancing color and framing.

The framing overall was rather flat and unexciting. It stayed the same height, and about the same distance from the characters, the entire time. We saw only a small area of the room. I totally understand, as it saved you a lot of time and effort, freeing those up for other projects, but even then, a few changes would not have cost much time, and would have giving the return of a more (visually) interesting film.

Still, I'm excited for the series, and can't wait to see it in action!