Topic: MaVie: Une Experience (My Life: An Experiment)

Directory Link

MaVie: Une Experience (My Life: An Experiment)

vimeo

A lifetime of experiments. Who was I really?

Last edited by thistof (February 7, 2021 (04:39am))

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Re: MaVie: Une Experience (My Life: An Experiment)

This is really good! I always like it when a couple of entrants make something more serious and grounded, to balance the variety of entries. This is a prime example of taking a premise so simple, and yet creating something thought provoking and, well, beautiful. The animation is stellar. I especially love the shot at 0:54.

Definitely one of the best entries I've seen, this was great! You have such a rock-solid aesthetic going on here, the entire film is just beautiful to look at! And on top of that it's just such a well executed idea in so many facets, from the great way it ended to the awesome way all the memories looked. Bravo dude, so good!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

I think you are one of the best brickfilmers currently active. I'd say this will make the top 3 for sure. I love when brickfilms have a noticeable attention to colour.

Oh wow, thank you all so much.

I love the perspective of this film, and the visual of film being a roll of film, filled with moments that you refuse to cut, is one that connects very well with this community. Excellent film!

This is one worth watching over and over.

Nice brickfilm! There really is an interesting mood to it.
I was quite surprised by the French though, why did you choose to do that?
(Not that I complain, it's great!)

Glad you asked, Aiwha! I've long been a fan of silent films and films in different languages. I'm a firm believer that film is a language itself, and transcends spoken languages. I refuse to watch dubbed films, preferring the natural rhythm and tone that the actors and directors originally created, believing that the music of the language tells more than the literal translation of the words. When the theme "experimental" was revealed, I immediately thought of the surrealist films of Maya Deren and Luis Buñuel, but many of my favorite films have been French films, from Jaques Tati, to Francois Truffaut, and of course more recently, Jean Pierre Jeunet and Silvain Chomet, so French just felt right. My dear friend Angelica has long been a Francophile, having studied French in high school and college, so I immediately contacted her and begged her to find time in her busy week to help me translate and then record the lines. She really rose to the occasion, and even demanded doing extra takes to try to minimize her accent as a native Spanish/English speaker. I have to give her so much credit, I really could not have done this without her help. I also looked at the credits and subtitles of some of my favorite French films, particularly Truffaut's "Les Quatre Cents Coups" to get ideas for fonts, lettering, and how to credit the different roles.

...what a shame this BRAWL masterpiece already floated to the 2nd page of releases! Congrats on the well-earned 1st place, you managed to tell a very captive story with an unexpected twist on the contest’s theme. mini/wink

The films aesthetics are awesome you really managed to convey this "super-8" analogue feeling. Three things that struck me especially were:
1) How nicely you managed to create an analogue film (e.g. at 0:23) in LEGO-size. mini/eek
2) The characters blinking never feels forced and is executed super smoothly - great contribution to the films atmosphere!
3) The switch between cinemascope format and the super-8 window is a great way to support the switch "now/memory"

Also very nice: The idea at 1:02 to use an hourglass and pictures to show the passing of time mini/bigsmile

thistof wrote:

I've long been a fan of silent films and films in different languages. I'm a firm believer that film is a language itself, and transcends spoken languages. I refuse to watch dubbed films, preferring the natural rhythm and tone that the actors and directors originally created, believing that the music of the language tells more than the literal translation of the words.

Couldn't agree more with you mini/wink

PunBB bbcode test