Topic: The LEGO Guys

Directory Link

The LEGO Guys

YouTube

PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK

Made for the summer Movie Magic animation contest. This is the first animation contest we've ever entered. Please give us some feedback and helpful criticism, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Two wisecracking inner city cops, Craig and Edward, try to arrest a fugitive, but things don't go as planned.

Inspired by movies such as Lethal Weapon, Rush Hour, and The Other Guys, this brickfilm is an homage to buddy cop films of the 80s, 90s, and 2000s.

Last edited by BrothersWaughStudios (September 3, 2018 (07:51am))

For all your BrothersWaughStudios needs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoIGzi … pAKtshbTbQ

Re: The LEGO Guys

Haha. Nice job fellows. This is great. Would love to see this return as a series. I'll admit it wasn't the flashiest or most glamorous animation, but the writing was sharp and hilarious. Great work, you guys clearly love these types of movies, and it's nice to see people doing brickfilm homages to classic genres such as the buddy cop one. Great stuff. Keep it up. mini/smile

My profile picture is deep fried lol

Brick Block Animations wrote:

Haha. Nice job fellows. This is great. Would love to see this return as a series. I'll admit it wasn't the flashiest or most glamorous animation, but the writing was sharp and hilarious. Great work, you guys clearly love these types of movies, and it's nice to see people doing brickfilm homages to classic genres such as the buddy cop one. Great stuff. Keep it up. mini/smile

Thanks so much, we really appreciate it. We are planning on making a sequel to this, or at least more like it.

For all your BrothersWaughStudios needs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoIGzi … pAKtshbTbQ

Let me start by saying that this was a fun film and you should be proud of it. You clearly focused on character interactions and giving each character a unique (written) voice, and I think that's fantastic. The primary reason for this film's ranking was that the judges weren't sure how it fit the theme requirements. Our intention had been for "movie magic" to mean innovative technical work within a film, but we didn't see a lot of that here so I'm curious how you interpreted the theme. As plot goes, it was coherent throughout, so that's great. This is probably more of a personal critique than anything, but less reference to other brickfilms in dialogue might be a good idea. For people outside the BiM community, they come across as "huh?" moments, where you were clearly making a joke but the audience isn't in on it.

Here are some basic things you can work on: a few shots show the edge of your set, so be careful to frame your shots so that isn't visible. Your animation does the job, but if you keep practicing I think you can get a lot better, which will help make those fight scenes really stand out. A minute and a half is a bit lengthy for credits (it's about 1/4 of your total runtime) but you did put them at the end so that's not really a problem so much as an observation.

I hope you don't feel bummed out by your placement in the contest. You really did pull together an entertaining brickfilm and I think you have a bright filmmaking future ahead of you. Thanks for entering the contest.