Topic: Icy Dead People

Directory Link

Icy Dead People

ICY DEAD PEOPLE - YT

Here is my latest project, 10 months in the making! (on and off)

I had a lot of fun making this and made sure not to release it until I was proud of every detail! Please let me know what you think mini/smile

Last edited by OnecrasFilms (October 27, 2018 (11:43am))

Re: Icy Dead People

Congratulations on completing it!

Like I said in the premiere chat thing, effects and lighting are some of your strong points.
If anything, this film shows us why.

The snow, the glowing eyes, the POV shots, they all look great! The flashlights at 1:08 are a real highlight.*
On top of that, the animation is spectacular. Creating chaotic fight scenes in Lego can be tricky, but like everything else mentioned so far, you nailed it. The fight was well-paced, always building up, but never staling or becoming old or boring. There was a palatable sense of danger and a growing intensity that bear great testament to your skill.

I love how well you did with the snow, both the in-camera bricks and the post-production effects. It truly felt like they were tramping through a snowstorm. I'm not always one for zombie films, but I was blown away.

But, two issues bothered me through the film. First, the Orc and Star Wars minifigure designs were ripped straight from the Lego kits. I could buy the Orcs as zombies, that wasn't a big issue, but using rebels, giving them blasters, but not referring to Star Wars through me for a loop. The guy in the pilot outfit was the worst offender. Was this set in the Star Wars universe, or not? Every time the pilot guy came on screen, I was pulled out of the film trying to figure him out. His humor stuck out like a sour thumb, and seemed better suited for a fun comedy than a dark, scary zombie film. Springing from that, who was he? Why was he there, why did the other guys not know him?

I totally understand the whole "idiot inadvertently saves the day" thing. It makes a nice story, and could have been done well even in an intense film like this, but I feel he simply didn't fit here. His design, voice, actions, none of it clicked with the rest of the film.

Also, how would the crystals, as great as they were, actually get them out of that predicament? For that matter, what were these guys going for? At first, it seemed that they were exploring for the crystals, but then, they didn't seem familiar with them or what they could do.

Zombie films aren't always known for their plots. They're there for awesome action, great set pieces, fun effects, and a certain amount of blood and gore. All of those you achieved in spectacular fashion. So, it doesn't need a huge story. But for all the shine and shimmer, I'm left puzzled by the end. It was amazingly done, no doubt, but because I'm left with so many questions, I'm not quite as satisfied with the whole as I feel I ought to be.

Does that make sense?

*I'm sorry, I just had to say it.