Topic: Paul the Skeleton

Directory Link

Paul the Skeleton

Paul the Skeleton - Blip

Jack and Jake's first adventure.

Last edited by Cavcstudios AKA Carlos (November 9, 2010 (08:45pm))

Re: Paul the Skeleton

Tell me what I need to work on for my next film.

Well, I need comments to improve!

Well, I quite liked it.

I think the biggest flaw is the frame rate. The animation itself is quite good considering the low frame rate. My advice would be to increase the frame rate to 15fps, or near that. I find that the leap to a higher framerate can greatly improve the quality of any film. Also, you seem to be suffering from a lot of grain. Whilst I understand you may not be able to get your hands on a higher quality camera, experiment with ways to increase the quality - as improving the camera quality also allows for more precise animation.

And, I wouldn't use computerized voices if I were you. It makes what they say hilarious, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't your intent. Plus, whilst I admire the effort it must have took for the mouth movements, they look kinda amateurish. My advice would be to drop the mouth-movement and use gestures/hand movements when the character is talking (which you seem to do anyway)

However, I actually really liked the story. The flashback segment had a really creepy atmosphere, which contrasted really nicely to the cafe setting. I also thought the prank was hilarious, and the twist nice - though a little predictable. I do think if those (relatively minor) technical hitches were improved, the story could have been told much better and given the justice it deserved.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Max Butcher wrote:

Well, I quite liked it.

I think the biggest flaw is the frame rate. The animation itself is quite good considering the low frame rate. My advice would be to increase the frame rate to 15fps, or near that. I find that the leap to a higher framerate can greatly improve the quality of any film. Also, you seem to be suffering from a lot of grain. Whilst I understand you may not be able to get your hands on a higher quality camera, experiment with ways to increase the quality - as improving the camera quality also allows for more precise animation.

And, I wouldn't use computerized voices if I were you. It makes what they say hilarious, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't your intent. Plus, whilst I admire the effort it must have took for the mouth movements, they look kinda amateurish. My advice would be to drop the mouth-movement and use gestures/hand movements when the character is talking (which you seem to do anyway)

However, I actually really liked the story. The flashback segment had a really creepy atmosphere, which contrasted really nicely to the cafe setting. I also thought the prank was hilarious, and the twist nice - though a little predictable. I do think if those (relatively minor) technical hitches were improved, the story could have been told much better and given the justice it deserved.

Thanks for the comment, yeah there's lots of room for improvement here, but if you've seen my The Dentist and this, you would see how I improved from the previous one. mini/bigsmile
The camera was a cheap webcam at the time but now I got ahold of a camcorder with very high quality so that fixes the grainy look.
The voices get on everyone's nerves after a while, I used those voices because it's hard to find people who are interested enough in a brickfilm.