Topic: Forum Purpose and Guidelines

This forum is for discussing topics that aren't directly related to filmmaking and/or LEGO.  Get to know your fellow brickfilmers, outside of the context of brickfilming.

While the range of topics in this forum is diverse, we try to encourage real discussion and discourage posting spam, internet memes, and topics like "What did you have for breakfast this morning?"  These kinds of threads are likely to be locked by a moderator as they tend to become a source of distraction and complaints.  Here are some guidelines:

• If you're new and would like to introduce yourself, do so in the thread made for that purpose.

• If you're unsure that something is important enough to justify its own thread, you're probably better off just making a mention of it in the Café Corner thread, which is meant for discussion of whatever random, small items you might want to discuss.  The chat is also a good place for talking about little things like that.

• No birthday threads, please.  With 400 active members and climbing, it's just not practical for everybody to make a thread when they have a birthday.  If you're excited about a new present or something, feel free to mention it in the Café Corner thread.

• Don't fight.  A little good-natured debate is fine, but name-calling and prolonged arguments aren't fun for anybody else trying to use the forum.  If you really need to settle a dispute with someone, do it somewhere outside this website.

• Before you submit your post, look it over.  Does it make sense?  Try your best to aim for correct spelling and grammar, though if English isn't your first language I know it may not be possible to get perfection. If you have nothing to really add to the discussion, a one word post like "cool" or ":lol:" may not be the most worthwhile contribution to the discussion.

• Don't post a reply that is simply a quote of somebody else's post to say you agree with them.  This is pretty mindless and it doesn't add anything to the discussion except spam.

• Ultimately, abide by the forum rules.  We have a wide variety of people here, and while you may enjoy them, this isn't the place for profanity and inappropriate jokes.

• If you do something against these guidelines once, we'll understand it might have been a simple mistake, provided it's not blatant, explicit spam or really strong hate type stuff.  If you've already been given a warning though, you're likely to be banned on a second offense.  If you think you've been punished out of error, feel free to contact an admin or moderator about this, but remember that threats are not likely to help your situation.

Politics and other controversial topics

Please try to avoid them.  We used to have a forum set aside from them but it was getting out of hand.  There's really no need to discuss this stuff on a site devoted to making LEGO movies, but if you want to talk about this sort of thing with someone, feel free to do so in chat.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Re: Forum Purpose and Guidelines

Smeagol wrote:

Don't post a reply that is simply a quote of somebody else's post to say you agree with them.  This is pretty mindless and it doesn't add anything to the discussion except spam.

I don't see how this is a problem, occasionally maybe, but usually this is useful, and i've never seen these type of posts as spam, but as worthwhile contributions or feedback on something,

My Blog]       Flickr]        Twitter]        YouTube]
"Eh" - Bertl

Quoting others is fine, what I'm talking about is something where people have had their entire post be a quote of something that somebody else said.  It's pretty annoying, it adds nothing; if you can't think of anything new to add, don't.

-Smeagol, who is still out of town for the time being

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Does this require updating? I notice you talk about being new and introducing yourself - this isn't possible for many as most new members haven't been invited in to the Community. This may well be better in the Forums category itself, surely, where everyone can see it as the guidelines are extremely informative. Perhaps Café Corner could be changed to the Q&A Topic thread, too?

I don't make Brickfilms. I trade virtual hats.

The Introduce Yourselves thread was moved to General Filmmaking, where it can be accessed by everyone. I don't think that there's much point moving this one, though; you're not going to need it unless you can see the Community forum.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png