Topic: "Let it Bleed" (A topic dedicated to making blood!)

Hey guys,

For those of you who have done any kind of war film or gunfight of some sort, you know the importance of blood in your films. In that spirit, I thought it would be helpful (and kinda funny) to hear how other brickfilmmers make their fake blood. On other post, I've seen some wacky stuff (i.e. Jam that has been sitting out for a week), so I'm interested to hear what others do. Any thoughts on this?

Re: "Let it Bleed" (A topic dedicated to making blood!)

Honey, mixed with Hershey's syrup and red food dye. My personal blend. Looks like blood and tastes AMAZING

Strawberry Jam = Brains.

Is this a Brickfilm or a Live-Action?
For a brickfilm, use red clay
For a Live action, use All of the above

I always use traditional Halloween fake blood, like in this

Lg Productions
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd413/Lgmaster6/TheBoxManSigniture.jpg

Tomato sauce. By far the best I've seen, red clay looks awful, and water + food colouring id hard to animate + is too thin and doesn't fit with the lego style.

Red classic.
Free will carried many a soul to hell, but never a soul to heaven. -Charles H. Spurgeon

In Home for Supper, I accidently got a paper cut, so I used my own blood...

No, that's not true, but in HfS I actually used 'Aunt J. Maple Syrup' mixed with red food coloring.

For live action, my friend usually makes it. He uses corn syrup, and red food dye.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

Well, I haven't gotten around to using it yet, until my next project. I'm using a special secret solution.

I've tried blood once (didn't upload to the internet). My opinion: use special FX. Clay works but it doesn't look like blood. I prefer to "make" blood while editing.

Tomato sauce. I did a shot in a brickfilm of a guy who had his intestines ripped open and was being eaten by a vampire (nice) for an uncompleted co-production, and it looked badass. I used plasticine for innards. I like the idea of strawberry jam for brains, might try it some time.
Sauce is fairly easy to use, too, as it doesn't go everywhere, it stays where you want it to.

Awesome thread, btw.

Last edited by Danimation (December 28, 2010 (10:27pm))

I use Particle Illusion 3 for blood squirts and such. Very rarely I use red clay because it looks too fake. I agree with the dude above that you should use Special FX for a good result.

I think red clay and lego fits good togehter, they both look fake. mini/wink

LarryStudios wrote:

I use Particle Illusion 3 for blood squirts and such. Very rarely I use red clay because it looks too fake. I agree with the dude above that you should use Special FX for a good result.

A combination of both works the best, a special effect for the spurt, and clay or something like that for a blood pool.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

Use either clay....or a mix of water corn syrup and red dye.

A Noob Animator with a small selection of Legos..

Stock footage mini/bigsmile stock footage is by far the best way to do it. its basically the same thing as using Pillusion, fxhome, or something like it to add VFX blood except it will look more real

"You have a Tic-Tac obsession" 
-Tbr207

I use that spray foam, that is used to seal cracks but I dye it red, so I can exactly control the blood. Or you can use homemade playdoh which looks pretty decent aswell. And the spray just wipes off lego with some water.

So is the only other option clay if i don't want to get my lego dirty/sticky

Eh, clay doesn't look very good. You can use fake blood/jam/sauce/syrup and just clean it afterwards in the sink, that works.

Action Essentials blood stock footage FTW!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6055/6222879608_7afe011386_m.jpg