Topic: BrickFilm Cinematic Universe proposal

With all these superhero movie franchises having their own Cinematic Universes (for which I mean series' of sort of related movies that cross over, as with the Avengers movies and X-Men having all of its spin-offs), could we make our own? I mean, could we come up with a world and then individually make brickfilms within that world that are all somehow connected, even if just through name-dropping and referencing?

Stage 1: Character Collection http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … ge-thread/

Stage 2: Story Planning has begun! http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … ry-thread/

If you want to be a part of it
So, anyone who's interested in being a part of Phase 1, message me and I will put your names on a list in this post. Please also express which theme or themes you want to include (you can give up to three up this point), which you would want to make a film of first, and at least the name and description of one original character. Here's an example:

Theme(s) wanted: Adventurers, Monster Fighters, Chima
First animation idea: Caden Hawke finds a moonstone in the Floridian Everglades, but must escape from the swamp men that guard it.
Original character: Caden Hawke, a modern-day adventurer with a penchant for supernatural artefacts and a sometimes-overwhelming identity crisis. (a picture might be nice if you have already built this character or used it in brickfilms)

That's just a thirty-second example. You can put as much thought or detail into it as you like, or keep it short and snappy. Please only propose ideas that you think are genuinely creative and will benefit from being part of a shared world. Please note that this isn't supposed to be a superhero universe! Though we may get into superheroes one day, I think it's best to leave them alone for now.

Squid wrote:

I highly suggest that people go and post some pictures of their personal favourite figures, especially the ones which might be easily built, and even the ones that aren't.  Or perhaps build a character that you know another specific animator might be able to build from your knowledge of their collection.

Why would this be a good thing?
It encourages interconnectedness (new word alert!). It would keep members of the BFCU in contact about new stories or characters, and so be great for bumping ideas around to make them awesome or to inspire each other. The interconnectedness carries over to voice-overs too, as characters repeated in different brickfilmers' videos would presumably be voiced by the same people.

I think it would also be a great exercise in story-telling.

What would it contain?
For a start, I think we should leave licensed themes (Star Wars, Marvel, Lone Ranger etc) out of it. I mean, they're good, and I'm not saying we couldn't be all meta and leave intertextual references and stuff, but I think the focus should be on creating our own characters...

...or using ones from actual LEGO themes. I think this should be encouraged, since they're stories which haven't mostly been elaborated on and, having been created by LEGO, were designed in the true spirit of LEGO. This is something that I think would be particularly cool - allowing characters from themes to overlap (e.g. have the Monster Fighters meet the old Fright Nights theme, or see Johnny Thunder discover Chima) and expand on the stories that LEGO have created, and also integrate them with our own characters. I for one could easily picture a new line-up of Agents made up of various brickfilmers' sigfigs, or of AnnoyingNoises' Llor Kcir in the Castle theme, as a new rival of the Evil Wizard. You get the picture.

New themes
We can also make up new themes as we go along. LEGO Dragon Riders? Done. LEGO Future City? No problemo. LEGO Vampire Hunters? Sounds epic, man. Actual LEGO themes are only meant to be a springboard to get people started, although you can continue with them as far as you like, or not use them at all. What nobody seems to have got from my first post is that they aren't the be-all and end-all; they're just a way of getting started. Take Agents for a second: if someone wanted to do an Agents film, they could use completely different characters (secret agents and villains both), so that the dark blue vehicles and the logo were the only link back to the original theme. I'm not saying that they're all we do.

Here's a list of all of LEGO's themes.

I have some ideas:

• Chima could really be hidden somewhere in the Fertile Crescent. The rest of the world doesn't know it exists...yet.

• Ninjago could be a mountainous region in the north of Japan. It was originally uninhabitable for humans, until the First Spinjitzu Master forged the golden weapons and used them to make it possible to live there.

• Places from old games, like LEGO Racers 2 and LEGO Island 2 could be real. For instance, Sandy Bay (LR2) could be somewhere in California, and there could actually be a real Racing Championship happening!

• The Agency (from LEGO Agents) could be an international (as in UN sanctioned) organisation?

• To allow steampunk and cyberpunk futures and pasts, maybe alternate universes could be possible.

• Time-travel could exist, to allow for greater integration of the Wild West and Castle/Kingdom themes.

• Spherus Magna, the BIONICLE planet, could be somewhere in a faraway galaxy...

• The Serpentine (Ninjago) could perhaps be from an ancient Serpent Tribe that left Chima centuries ago...?

• Maybe this universe is henotheistic - I mean, we don't need to address whether there's a God or not, but it'd let us integrate stories from various mythologies, which I personally think would be great, especially since Norse mythology could lead to elves and dwarves in this universe.

So there's a quadrillion things we could do with the BFCU.

How would we go about it?
Not sure. i mean, that's open to debate. Here's how I would, at least at the moment:

To start off, we'd make a list of fundamental rules (e.g. no bad language, no gore, etc).
Then we would make the basic rules about the universe, about where stuff is, when, what we think should be explored first, etc. Of the latter, we would make a list.
People would then choose which story they wanted to pursue first: someone might choose a future LEGO city, someone might choose Chima, another might choose vampires VS werewolves, etc.
As these first brickfilms are made, the creators bounce ideas both about story elements and about film-making technique back and forth, and we could start making a list of new characters or places or events for the future.
As more people join, this would keep going and going.

Some canon
In the BFCU, the universe is made of bricks, though not all made of plastic. For instance, the bricks used to make the side of a cliff-face are made of rock, while pieces of a car are metal bricks. Nobody really questions how or why the universe is made this way, but some scholars believe it was constructed by an ancient race known as the Celestial Builders.

A minifigure’s life-force is known as the Creation Spark, like in the LEGO Universe game.

Minifigures see themselves as all one piece, so in order to put on clothes, they are just seen to go on top of the minifigures body (even though when animating, you would exchange the plain yellow torso for the clothed torso). This avoids any weirdness of a minifigure disassembling him/herself. The same goes for headwear - the hair still exists underneath.

One thing which might also work is doing an interactive adventure, like many YouTubers already have - a story where lots of people each do one chapter in the story, upload to their account, and then in-video links take the viewer through the story. That would be a great way of promoting the BFCU and its members.

So that's my idea for the BrickFilm Cinematic Universe. I quite like it, but I understand that not everyone will feel the same way. If anyone's interested, please comment. Even if you're not, but have any thoughts, please comment. I'd love to hear what y'all think. I hope that this might go forward, and that we could create something really special!

-Jampot

Last edited by jampot (September 16, 2013 (06:08am))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Re: BrickFilm Cinematic Universe proposal

Actually, I think this is a really solid idea.

I'm getting extremely tired of all the superhero/Star Wars brickfilms. They are just not stimulating to the mind or creative at all.

If this idea could be launched, then perhaps a lot of brickfilmers would put their talents to what I think is really great, instead of some cliche 30 second Avengers brickfilm.

By no means am I trying to insult any brickfilmers out there. I know that this art medium takes a lot of time and effort and you can choose to make what ever kind of brickfilm you like, but creating an original story and an original film, for that matter, is much more rewarding.

It would be great if people could log onto BiM and see original, really creative brick films. I know that this community has the potential to do this.

So, in conclusion, I think this is a fantastic idea, jampot.

-WT

Willow Tree wrote:

It would be great if people could log onto BiM and see original, really creative brick films. I know that this community has the potential to do this.

So, in conclusion, I think this is a fantastic idea, jampot.

-WT

Thanks! I really hope this takes off and enough people are interested. We do have the potential, and I think it would be a great help for the site, even if it only takes newcomers as far as our Film Directory.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

[*]Time-travel could exist, to allow for greater integration of the Wild West and Castle/Kingdom themes.[/*]

One thing which might also work is doing an interactive adventure

I don't want these two things.

I prefer the idea of a Castle Kingdom just existing in a world where there's also a modern city and futuristic space travel, kinda like in some of the old LEGO games.  It also seems to be the case in the LEGO Movie.
Also, time travel can get very messy, especially since this would involve collaborative writing.  I don't want to go down that path.

Interactive adventures aren't much fun for me as videos.
If I want an interactive adventure, I'll go play a video game.

But, besides those small problems, I really like this idea, and I would be very interested to be involved.

An important thing, though, is people's abilities to implement characters from other animator's films.
We all have very unique minifigure part collections, and it is impossible for some of us to build characters another person may have built.
Therefore, I suggest that before the stories are heavily built up, it may be a good idea to first find out which people can build matching minifigures, and then we'll think up stories that can work with that.

Hmmm, this could be interesting. Not sure how many people would be down with it - as most Brickfilmers seem happy to just do their own thing, but maybe if one or two guys started this off it could catch on.

I've been wanting to make a Jonny Thunder Brickfilm for a while. He was basically Indiana Jones before LEGO bought the Indiana Jones licence. Though, after Egyptian Holiday, I've been put off doing it.

I've also been tempted to do small things like have The Nightly News at Nine playing in the background of some of my Brickfilms - but I can't be bothered to ask for written consent, and there is a huge chance that either I won't recieve a response, or won't be allowed to use it.

Oddly, I don't think copyright is an issue. LEGO haven't done anything about Brickfilms yet, and anyone can earn ad revenue off-of a LEGO Star Wars Brickfilm so long as they don't use copyrighted music or images. The only issue is if people are interested...

Squid wrote:

Interactive adventures aren't much fun for me as videos.
If I want an interactive adventure, I'll go play a video game.

There is a difference between the two. I still think there is potential for interactive adventures, but I have yet to see a really good one.

jampot wrote:

Places from old games, like LEGO Racers 2 and LEGO Island 2 could be real.

I remember there being an Easter Egg in LEGO Island 2 where the guy from LEGO Loco popped up. It was the only good part of that game (LEGO Island 1 was much better. I loved running people over and watching their splayed limbs fly back. I also liked interrupting peoples sentences so they suddenly stop talking and stared awkwardly at you for a few moments before walking away. LEGO Racers 1 was also much better because there were more powerups - meaning races were more tactical - and the physics engine didn't make it feel like you were racing on the moon)

Last edited by Max Butcher (August 28, 2013 (03:02pm))

YouTube
Max, She/They

This idea is neat to me, if several brickfilmers started it up it would be very neat.

I already try to keep my films (at least, current scripts) in a singular "brickfilm animated universe," by referencing BEAST, Grace, and America: Outlawed (Some of my all time favorite brickfilms, btw) So, if this was elaborated on and defined better, my simple homage to some "classic" brickfilms would become a "link" between two artistic worlds, merging them into one. mini/smile

I could see this as a good thing to do, but, It'd require so much research, approval, and guidelines, that it might not be worth it in the end if only 3 or 4 of us actually go along with it. (But, It'd sure be a fun thing to try out, at least) I think that if you got people like Nathan Wells and Smeagol on board, this thing might grow a little quicker, and be more fun mini/smile

*Gets goosebumps at the thought of Nathan Wells not only doing this, but voicing in more films. (Especially mine)*

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

P.S. Being able to feature other peoples original characters (with their permission, of course) would be awesome mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I think this is a really awesome concept and would be so cool if we could do it right.  I've always wanted to do something like this, make a brickfilm in the same "universe" as other unique brickfilms.
I agree with Squid on time travel, I don't like that idea.

This is something I would really love to see done if it's well thought out.  Being able to use specific characters from other brickfilms in that universe would be really cool, I think.  If there's a problem of having the parts, just don't use that character. 
Someone should totally make some concept maps or something, and we should try and decide on what themes we know we would want in it. 

What about things like older lego themes?  Ninja/Ninjago, Castle/Knights Kingdom, Space Police/Blacktron, Agents/Alpha Team, Johnny Thunder/Pharaohs Quest, all the themes that are essentially repeating themselves (though some are very different I realize)?  How would we decide which goes where, or would they both be in the universe? 

Overall I really like this idea and hope we can run with it for a while.  I'd love to make a film that fits into this universe (though I'd probably never get around to it, decide to make one for a contest, and have the whole thing way too rushed and fast mini/tongue )

Is anyone else able to build Squid?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8246/8509857907_02b315ff8e_c.jpg
(ignore the backwards car)

He consists of relatively common pieces, though, re-arming is required.
He might be a good character to have in the universe if many can build him.

I didn't read the entire first post, but I think I caught your drift. Yeah, I think that would be cool. But, something inside me makes me wanna think that its been done before.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

TrollBridge Studios wrote:

I already try to keep my films (at least, current scripts) in a singular "brickfilm animated universe," by referencing BEAST, Grace, and America: Outlawed (Some of my all time favorite brickfilms, btw) So, if this was elaborated on and defined better, my simple homage to some "classic" brickfilms would become a "link" between two artistic worlds, merging them into one. mini/smile

I'm curious to see your homages. I've basically missed 5 years of brickfilms so I'm playing catch-up.

In my mind all of my films take place in the same universe, and I emphasize this by having characters from my films cameo (where appropriate) in my other films. Sticking Stoic Man into random shots is always fun.

Also, thanks to Feel Great and Slapstick, my films and at least some of MindGame's and Krick Film's films exist in the same universe.

Squid wrote:

He consists of relatively common pieces, though, re-arming is required.

mini/no  I'd never do it... At least not since... the "cracking torso" incident.... mini/twitch

I love this idea. I always get excited when I see brickfilms referencing each other. Even just seeing minifigures from other brickfilms in the background would be great. I think I will start asking for permission to put other people's characters in the background of my brickfilms from now on. This is definitely something I would like to see more often in the future. mini/smile

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Yes, I can build Squid.  Very easy.
(sorry for the potato, it's my iPod)
http://i.imgur.com/uYJqhTM.jpg
I couldn't tell you why he's in Tony Stark's mansion... mini/confused
Also, sorry if this sounds like a self-plug, but here's a brickfilm I did a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU6Ptm_Vpoc

In it I have a ton of "cameos" that are sig figs or the main characters from a ton of different brickfilmers.  I just contacted them all and asked if they cared if I included their figure in my movie.  None of them were meant to be in that "universe", all of them were just a nod to their creators.  So I've certianly done that before.

This is a super cute idea. I'd like to know, are we going to mention terminated themes? Because Alien Conquest was my favorite thing Legos ever done and it was discontinued... Anyway I can imagine a variety of stories aroundthis and related themes (lego city or those space warrior stuff)
Ill write more when it's tomorrow I'm sleepy

I love the idea of ditching license themes! I am SICK of license themes. I can enjoy them as much as the next guy, but we're over saturated with them. I want something more creative.

Anyway this idea sounds great and it has definitely sparked my interest.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Woah. Nathan Wells commented. mini/bigsmile

Squid wrote:

Is anyone else able to build Squid?

He might be a good character to have in the universe if many can build him.

Pretty sure I can. On your earlier point, not every character has to travel back and forth. We can work it out because obviously not everyone can build the same minifigures, but not every story has to follow the same characters, if you get my drift. But I totally get your point, and it's an important one to note, because it's definitely something we need to think about.

topitmunkeydog wrote:

I'd like to know, are we going to mention terminated themes? Because Alien Conquest was my favorite thing Legos ever done and it was discontinued...

Anything and everything. Alien Conquest, every version of Space Police, Fright Knights, Island Warriors...anything and everything - the more creative and imaginative, the better!

JonnDthunDer wrote:

I agree with Squid on time travel, I don't like that idea.

...then we ditch time-travel. You're right, having it exist alongside modern times like in the games is probably much better, and it's less complicated story-wise.

JonnDthunDer wrote:

Being able to use specific characters from other brickfilms in that universe would be really cool, I think.  If there's a problem of having the parts, just don't use that character.

A very cogent argument.

JonnDthunDer wrote:

What about things like older lego themes?  Ninja/Ninjago, Castle/Knights Kingdom, Space Police/Blacktron, Agents/Alpha Team, Johnny Thunder/Pharaohs Quest, all the themes that are essentially repeating themselves (though some are very different I realize)?  How would we decide which goes where, or would they both be in the universe?

Some already fit together quite nicely. I mean, there are three versions of Space Police, so they could be the three different evolutions of the organisation as their technology gets more advanced, and then Blacktron could be really far in the future. Pharoah's Quest is set sixty or seventy years before Johnny Thunder's adventures. Dino Island could then have led to last year's Dino theme if, in Jurassic Park 2 style, the dinosaurs somehow got off the island, and isn't one of the Dino characters a descendant of Johnny Thunder anyway?

Ninja could be a historic thing, set in Japan's past, while Ninjago exists in the present. Knights Kingdom could be a different kingdom from Castle, and one could indeed be in the past. Alpha Team could even be a subsection of Agents!

JonnDthunDer wrote:

Someone should totally make some concept maps or something, and we should try and decide on what themes we know we would want in it.

And on to the next stage.

So, anyone who's interested in being a part of Phase 1, message me and I will put your names on a list in the first post. Please also express which theme or themes you want to include (you can give up to three up this point), which you would want to make a film of first, and at least the name and description of one original character. Here's an example:

Theme(s) wanted: Adventurers, Monster Fighters, Chima
First animation idea: Caden Hawke finds a moonstone in the Floridian Everglades, but must escape from the swamp men that guard it.
Original character: Caden Hawke, a modern-day adventurer with a penchant for supernatural artefacts and a sometimes-overwhelming identity crisis. (a picture might be nice if you have already built this character or used it in brickfilms)

That's just a thirty-second example. You can put as much thought or detail into it as you like, or keep it short and snappy.

Also, does anyone have any objections to any of the concept ideas I put in the first post? (as in the stuff about Ninjago or LR2, I got that time-travel is a no) If you do, let me know now, because otherwise I'd like to take them as our starting point for building the BFCU. But as I said, if there are ideas you don't think fit, or that you don't think should be included, let me know.

Please also post your own ideas for new places/characters and also for integrating original LEGO theme in new comments. i'll put them on the first post in blue, and if people aren't keen on them then I'll take them away again or modify them according to peoples' suggestions. I think that's fair. (this is all within reason, because otherwise a system like this can be counter-productive).

Does that work? Tell me if my system sounds weird or stupid.

And BTW Nathan Wells, thanks for commenting. You're the reason I make brickfilms. Big fan.

-Jampot

Last edited by jampot (August 29, 2013 (01:58am))

What about light flesh figures even though we aren't going to use licensed themes?

Do skin tones matter?

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

This is a wonderful idea dude! Let's do this! Also, I'm pretty sure I can build squid.

Another thing we could do is stretch the buildablility of figures with simple clothing changes.

For instance, Sir Squid can look okay in something besides the traditional Zoron outfit.  With that in mind, a character like him could appear in any film as long as people have a classic skelly head.

We also do not necessarily have to have films existing in actual themes, but also have custom themes.

Sir Squid is primarily a variation of space, but can exist in any theme since he's just a random explorer/adventurer, and could pop in and out of most stories.

I suggest that we don't set out any finite rules for what themes don't exist in the weird realm, but just make it a world jammed with almost everything and then just throw something else in if we ever find that we need it.

I think that different space theme should just exist in different portions of space, one group of space police for instance might just be a different branch, or perhaps one is a splinter group which had a disagreement with the other police.

I myself won't be able to animate any Chima stuff as I don't have any of those sets, but Sir Squid could be included in another animator's Chima adventure.

But I highly suggest that people go and post some pictures of their personal favourite figures, especially the ones which might be easily built, and even the ones that aren't.  Or perhaps build a character that you know another specific animator might be able to build from your knowledge of their collection.