Re: GO FILM 2013 Results!

You might have been "honest" in this thread, but you went straight ahead and spoke your mind in your last few posts.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Re: GO FILM 2013 Results!

CarrollFilms wrote:
Mickey wrote:

*applauds* Way to be subtle, Carroll. Where will you and your negative comments go next? Quit being such a downer, it's not helping anything.

Thank you mini/smile

I don't know, somewhere in the dark crevasses of the underworld.

Am I not allowed to give an honest opinion? Alright; I can understand that, yep, totally, uh hu.

It wasn't your opinion but that my question wasn't helped at all by you giving your opinion about the films. Even if they weren't that funny there was  still probably one slightly funnier than the rest. Also what about most creative (there were definitely a lot of creative ones)

Re: GO FILM 2013 Results!

END films wrote:
CarrollFilms wrote:
Mickey wrote:

*applauds* Way to be subtle, Carroll. Where will you and your negative comments go next? Quit being such a downer, it's not helping anything.

Thank you mini/smile

I don't know, somewhere in the dark crevasses of the underworld.

Am I not allowed to give an honest opinion? Alright; I can understand that, yep, totally, uh hu.

It wasn't your opinion but that my question wasn't helped at all by you giving your opinion about the films. Even if they weren't that funny there was  still probably one slightly funnier than the rest. Also what about most creative (there were definitely a lot of creative ones)

You were not a judge for the contest. We decided on what to judge and what to give each film. Maybe if there were more entries than I have fingers; maybe, just maybe we could've picked a top 5 films for each category.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Re: GO FILM 2013 Results!

Maybe you should have adhered to the standards that were set out in the announcement thread? Whether you enjoyed the films is not the issue here.

Onion, in the original post, wrote:

Now the bit you've all been waiting for, the prizes! Well, as of yet, we don't have a final deal with any sponsors but we hope to have an agreement soon, hopefully with extensive prizes around about what we got for the FoS 1 & 2 (100$ in all). There will be 3 separate prizes,
1) Best Overall, which will receive the highest prize.
2) Funniest entry, the one that makes judges laugh most, this will receive the 2nd highest prize.
3) Most creative entry, an entry that uses creativity in several fields to deliver a great film, this will receive a prize equal to the Funniest entry.

The contest description said there would be three categories. While I can sympathize with Onion's struggle to secure the proposed prizes (though he probably could have updated his post to reflect that- perhaps his internet problems made that impossible), there isn't really any excuse for removing two categories after a contest has concluded. It's unclear whether Onion or the judges are responsible- if this was Onion's decision, by all means he should explain the reasoning behind it. Regardless, posting snarky comments toward people who are justifiably upset that the judges violated the agreed upon system reflects poorly on you.

When you judge a contest, you have an obligation to uphold the rules as they were presented to the entrants. People put time and effort into creating submissions for this contest. Whether you think they were poor or not isn't remotely relevant to whether you follow the basic system that was set out at the contest's inception. As someone involved in running the contest, you accepted the responsibility of delivering the incentives that those people were told to expect, even if that just meant honoring a film for 'funniest' and 'most creative' without offering a prize.

We have enough trouble getting people to enter contests as things stand- do we really want to see what happens when potential entrants start worrying that the contest runner won't uphold his end of the deal?

Re: GO FILM 2013 Results!

There is literally very literally nothing I could do concerning the prizes, my internet use has been gone for the last 2 months, believe me I would have loved to have been here to organize prizes and the contest as a whole but circumstances arose that were out of my control. It was very lucky I had Sean and Lucas and Darkman to judge and finish the contest for me, which also means delegating judging and everything else to them, so if there decision was to do 1st, 2nd, and 3rd then so be it, they saved this contest therefore any decision they made I respect entirely.

EDIT: I also understand this contest was very messy and for that I apologize, anyone whose been here a few years will remember FoS 1 and 2 which were both big successes in my book. Sadly this was not up to their standard but I assure you that if I am to host or help out on another contest again I'll make sure I have a plan B in any case.

Last edited by Onion (November 16, 2013 (02:22pm))

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Re: GO FILM 2013 Results!

Squash wrote:

Maybe you should have adhered to the standards that were set out in the announcement thread? Whether you enjoyed the films is not the issue here.

Onion, in the original post, wrote:

Now the bit you've all been waiting for, the prizes! Well, as of yet, we don't have a final deal with any sponsors but we hope to have an agreement soon, hopefully with extensive prizes around about what we got for the FoS 1 & 2 (100$ in all). There will be 3 separate prizes,
1) Best Overall, which will receive the highest prize.
2) Funniest entry, the one that makes judges laugh most, this will receive the 2nd highest prize.
3) Most creative entry, an entry that uses creativity in several fields to deliver a great film, this will receive a prize equal to the Funniest entry.

The contest description said there would be three categories. While I can sympathize with Onion's struggle to secure the proposed prizes (though he probably could have updated his post to reflect that- perhaps his internet problems made that impossible), there isn't really any excuse for removing two categories after a contest has concluded. It's unclear whether Onion or the judges are responsible- if this was Onion's decision, by all means he should explain the reasoning behind it. Regardless, posting snarky comments toward people who are justifiably upset that the judges violated the agreed upon system reflects poorly on you.

When you judge a contest, you have an obligation to uphold the rules as they were presented to the entrants. People put time and effort into creating submissions for this contest. Whether you think they were poor or not isn't remotely relevant to whether you follow the basic system that was set out at the contest's inception. As someone involved in running the contest, you accepted the responsibility of delivering the incentives that those people were told to expect, even if that just meant honoring a film for 'funniest' and 'most creative' without offering a prize.

We have enough trouble getting people to enter contests as things stand- do we really want to see what happens when potential entrants start worrying that the contest runner won't uphold his end of the deal?

Lucas was given full control over judging once confirmation was made from Onion. We decided that it would be pointless to judge it over those other 2 categories. You make this seem like it's the end of the world. Because we didn't judge 2 non-existent categories? Just let it go.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Re: GO FILM 2013 Results!

CarrollFilms wrote:

You make this seem like it's the end of the world. Because we didn't judge 2 non-existent categories? Just let it go.

I'm making light of the fact that you skipped part of the judging process, and then acted flippant toward people who inquired into the changes. The Contests and Festivals forum is set up to keep people who aren't going to deliver on their promises from running contests. That's why this is an issue- because you don't seem to see a problem with randomly changing an major part of the judging system after the entries had already been submitted.

Onion, it's true that you have run tidy contests in the past, and I understand that this was for the most part out of your hands. The prizes are not an issue for me, given that their presence was tentative from the beginning. That said, I don't think we should be setting the precedent of allowing people who take up contests to change the known aspects of the judging system after the contest has finished. I don't intend to keep you from running more contests; it's nice that people are willing to step up and give their time to fill the void left by the lack of official contests. I just think we should acknowledge that the changes to the judging here weren't necessary or justified.

Re: GO FILM 2013 Results!

Squash wrote:
CarrollFilms wrote:

You make this seem like it's the end of the world. Because we didn't judge 2 non-existent categories? Just let it go.

I'm making light of the fact that you skipped part of the judging process, and then acted flippant toward people who inquired into the changes. The Contests and Festivals forum is set up to keep people who aren't going to deliver on their promises from running contests. That's why this is an issue- because you don't seem to see a problem with randomly changing an major part of the judging system after the entries had already been submitted.

After we received confirmation from Onion; Lucas and I judged the films. We came to an agreement (this is almost a month after the contest was finished) After judging these 8 films there wasn't really a need to judge the other 2 categories. That same night of judging we released the results. We never contacted Hal if this was ok, all we knew was that we were running the contest from there forward and didn't even bother with notifying Onion afterwards.

You can blame it all on me! (baby come back)

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Re: GO FILM 2013 Results!

CarrollFilms wrote:
END films wrote:

Onion now that you're back( mini/bigsmile ) can we get results for funniest and most creative?

None of the films were funny, hate to break your poor little heart. And with 8 entries there really wasn't much competition and it would be pointless to technically judge 2 of the 8 films. Hope this answers your question

If there was only 8 entries it shouldn't take so long for you to judge them especially if "there really wasn't much competition".

It might be "pointless" to technically judge 2 of the 8 films but if it is that means the entire judging process is pointless too and if you feel that way about judging films, why are you a judge?

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

Re: GO FILM 2013 Results!

Well this is a bit of a

http://themoderatevoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009-may/trainwreck2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Re: GO FILM 2013 Results!

Cartoonkid98 wrote:
CarrollFilms wrote:
END films wrote:

Onion now that you're back( mini/bigsmile ) can we get results for funniest and most creative?

None of the films were funny, hate to break your poor little heart. And with 8 entries there really wasn't much competition and it would be pointless to technically judge 2 of the 8 films. Hope this answers your question

If there was only 8 entries it shouldn't take so long for you to judge them especially if "there really wasn't much competition".

It might be "pointless" to technically judge 2 of the 8 films but if it is that means the entire judging process is pointless too and if you feel that way about judging films, why are you a judge?

I'd tell you the truth, but you can't handle the truth.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Re: GO FILM 2013 Results!

Thread moved on account of we can't promote contests that don't award the promised prizes because they didn't like the entries. Shamefully dishonest conduct here.

(If anybody is wondering about the as-of-yet non-existent prizes for the last THAC: I'm working on resolving that!)

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Re: GO FILM 2013 Results!

I think it's safe to say that ISP's are the one to blame for this contest. After getting the "ok" to take over GO-FILM we weren't able to tell Hal about our change in judging, therefor making it impossible to tell him what the hails we were doing. People should just be happy they actually have results. Onion got his internet back a week ago, his ISP is the one to blame!

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?