Topic: Logitech C920 Users

Who here uses the Logitech C920? I'm thinking about investing in one since it's at low price on Amazon. I would love to see some of your favorite projects filmed by the C920!

Thanks!

Re: Logitech C920 Users

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTiSRCbTSgE mini/tongue

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7by-Apck_3U

The Logitech C920 is a great choice for brickfilming, especially if you are on a budget.

Here are some examples of brickflms filmed with the C920:

Horace and Horace's Day Out

Bump and the Knight

That's the Way it Goes

The LEGO Movie (Fan Made Stop Motion Trailer)

Barney Bunny Ep. 7 - Barney Goes on Vacation

Last edited by Willow Tree (June 4, 2016 (12:33pm))

buy it, buy it now. The c920 is the camera I have been using for my tests and it is amazing. Manual controls for white balance, exposure, brightness, its all good. and you really can get some great shots out of it. mini/smile

"Of course I'm lucky, I'm a leprechaun!"-Fred the Leprechaun
I hope no one has realized I like emojjies mini/shifty

It is a fantastic webcam. Couldn't recommend it enough.

I don't really think I have any exceptional films to show, but I own this camera also, and I love it. I highly recommend it. mini/smile

Sir Snorlax wrote:

buy it, buy it now. The c920 is the camera I have been using for my tests and it is amazing. Manual controls for white balance, exposure, brightness, its all good. and you really can get some great shots out of it. mini/smile

How close can you get to a mini figure with the webcam and have it still in focus?

the focus is manual too, there's a slider that will change the focus from farther away from the camera to objects closer to the camera.
                                      here's a close up I did with it. it was taken with the camera about 2 inches from the minifigure.
              https://68.media.tumblr.com/a32ad6ed25e6776f239d7eac675e0320/tumblr_o89nhjgRAF1vwebg8o1_1280.jpg

this was about as close I could get the minifigure to the camera and still be able to set the focus so the character was clear

Edit
William is right, I believe the C920 has 8 mega pixels so you can zoom in vary far while keeping a good quality image. I have no idea how I forgot about zooming mini/dizzy

Last edited by Sir Snorlax (March 21, 2017 (08:37am))

"Of course I'm lucky, I'm a leprechaun!"-Fred the Leprechaun
I hope no one has realized I like emojjies mini/shifty

You could also go even closer to an object by zooming in. Although it never usually looks as good a quality the more you zoom in,  Sir Snorlax could probably have zoomed in as close up to the minifigure, as to not have the torso in the frame, with the image quality still looking pretty good. However, I would recommend you zoom in before you take the frame, rather than zooming in in post. I only say that because I don't know much about cropping when it comes to stop motion.

Sir Snorlax wrote:

William is right, I believe the C920 has 8 mega pixels so you can zoom in vary far while keeping a good quality image. I have no idea how I forgot about zooming.

Although the c920 is advertised as being able to take high pixel images, the actual sensor has only 3mp, so a little more than 1080p. That said, I would recommend against ever zooming in on webcam footage (maybe 110%, but then it really becomes noticeable).

As for recommendation, I would say that it is the best budget-friendly camera there is. It's also compatible with most frame-capture programs, which is a large plus. This is probably the best I took with it. Shot 3 shows how close it can focus.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

Here are two short brickfilms I've made using the C920:

Batman V Superman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTCPaUce0Yc

Batman V.S. Deathstroke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xGIXnQGoEc

So far the Logitech C920 seems to be great. The only thing I could say that I don't like is the auto zoom because I don't know how to shut it off and make it manual. Other than that, the C920 is great and I would definitly recommend it.

Batmanjpd Entertainment

I've never had a problem with auto zoom. It's always manual for me. If it's automatically changing the zoom, go on settings and untick the box where it has the option to adjust the zoom.

Does anyone know of a good design for a lego "cage" for the C920?

This is a very simple design and this is a more pose-able setup.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

If I didn't know better I'd say this was the "Shameless plug for those who happen to have a c920 webcam" thread mini/tongue

Willow Tree has provided a good list of example brickfilms (Walter Benson's "that's the Way it Goes" played a large part in my decision to purchase one). Having a c920 myself, all I can do is heartily recommend it as the others. It's obviously a very popular choice amongst brickfilmers. Having owned the also popular Logitec quickcam pro 9000, I'd say it's definitely a considerable step up from that webcam.

As to your various questions, I say just get it and start experimenting. You'll be very hard-pressed to find a better webcam for the price.

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

If any webcams, the C920 is the best in terms of brickfilm animation. I have considered buying the C930e but I was swayed to buy the 920 instead because the field of view was more suitable.
I was able to buy mine at Officeworks (not sure if you know that store) for $100 which was $80 less expensive than the Logitech sells.
It's reasonable to make the switch if you want to make light weight camera movements.

Here are some brickfilms that I know of that had used the c920:

As a heads-up, the second one is somewhat gory.

Also, when you own one, there'll be a blue light surrounding the lens when you turn it on which can disrupt the lighting. You can turn it off in the settings.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

Here's my camera cradle design.
It's designed for the C910, but I believe that the C920 would fit no problem.
Sometimes, I stuff some sticky-tac in beside/below the camera to hold it better. The plate do a good job, but why settle for good if you can go for better?

batmanjpd wrote:

The only thing I could say that I don't like is the auto zoom because I don't know how to shut it off and make it manual. Other than that, the C920 is great and I would definitly recommend it.

Just figured out that I had the old version so it wouldn't let me manual zoom. Got it fixed now. Thanks William Osborne. mini/bigsmile

Batmanjpd Entertainment

No problem mini/wink