Re: General Contest Discussion

Having thought about this for a while, I think that the reason why THAC isn't held over summer instead of winter is because a lot of people go on vacation over summer, whereas they're more likely to be at home with family during the winter (presumably where most of their LEGO would be). And I agree with Eddie, two THACs would be insanity, and switching it to summer instead of winter doesn't make much sense.

kcirb-- its brick backwards.
Youtube

What if there was an online festival that was THAC-like? 24 hours to make a film that pertains to a certain theme. No actual prizes, and the only judging would be a People's Choice thing where a poll would be open for 24 hours after the contest ended. That may be too complex, but it's just an idea.

Living LEGO wrote:

What if there was an online festival that was THAC-like? 24 hours to make a film that pertains to a certain theme. No actual prizes, and the only judging would be a People's Choice thing where a poll would be open for 24 hours after the contest ended. That may be too complex, but it's just an idea.

Ehh... Doesn't that kinda remove the excitement of THAC, though? I mean the effort and stress and whatnot that goes into THAC is usually inspired by prizes; I can't imagine very many people would enter if there aren't any prizes and isn't official judging. If someone wants a theme to animate a film in 24 hours, I can give someone a theme, and they can take only 24 hours to do it. It just doesn't seem like an "unorganized" contest like you're suggesting would attract many people.

kcirb-- its brick backwards.
Youtube

I'm not inspired by winning prizes, I like having the experience and the right to say, "I completed a qualified THAC entry." When you win THAC, you really win a reputation of being a good brickfilmer. The prizes themselves are usually not that motivating. If I wanted to win good prizes, I'd enter BiM 2012.

Yes, but that's you. Some people aren't motivated like that. While I do I agree with those motives, I don't know how many people will.

| Website |
So yeah, I'm back from my mind.

I think a music video contest would be cool, I've been wanting to make a "You probably Shouldn't move here" music video in lego for awhile.

The Ghost of Mrs. Day studios: Home of mediocre brickfilms.

Mickey wrote:

What about a BRAWL 2012? I know this is a bit early, though...

I plan on running BRAWL 2012 this summer towards the end of July though I haven't worked out and details yet.

I'd probably be available to judge if you need volunteers.

| Website |
So yeah, I'm back from my mind.

Contests tend to stress me out because I keep changing story ideas and wind up with a great one about a week before the deadline. I'm getting a jump on Kitchen Sink, which may or may not reach into the bowels of my hiatus and violently yank out a proper film. But don't hold your breath, because that's not healthy.

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png

Just a question: will there be a FOS 3 this year?

Troodon wrote:

Just a question: will there be a FOS 3 this year?

That would be great!

I'm lazy so probably not.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Onion wrote:

Sigh. *stands up to volunteer*

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Onion wrote:

Guess this means either no FOS 3 or someone else volunteering (I vote for Mickey).