Re: Top Seasons/Series from the past decade?

Juggernaut Pictures wrote:

In conclusion, your basically a hipster.

Adventure Time, Sherlock

It would appear so.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

LOST is definitely my favorite show. Other than that, Game of Thrones and Sherlock are both very intelligent and well executed.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Carousel wrote:

If you call Breaking Bad overrated, I'm sorry, but I really cannot appreciate or value your opinions of the television landscape.

I'm not surprised.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I did watch the first few episodes of Mad Men, but honestly, it just didn't grip me.

That's fine.  The show's not for everyone (...and what show is, besides Transformers?).  I respect your differing tastes & opinions.

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (March 18, 2014 (08:42am))

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

HoldingOurOwn wrote:
Carousel wrote:

If you call Breaking Bad overrated, I'm sorry, but I really cannot appreciate or value your opinions of the television landscape.

I'm not surprised.

How much of Breaking Bad have you actually watched?

Robot Chicken, if it hasn't already been said

Lucas wrote:
HoldingOurOwn wrote:
Carousel wrote:

I'm not surprised.

How much of Breaking Bad have you actually watched?

He probably lost interest after the first 4 episodes. To much character development for him.

Last edited by CarrollFilms (March 18, 2014 (09:53am))

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Keep the conversation respectful, guys. It's cool to have strong opinions about the things you like (I'm a big advocate of Breaking Bad), but personal insults and jabs don't belong here.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:
Carousel wrote:

I'm not surprised.

Well thank you very much for addressing my reasoning and providing an actual intellectual argument on which to base your opinions upon.

Honestly, the first season of Breaking Bad received very mixed reviews and it does pick up very slowly to begin with. I bet I would not have kept going if not for the Netflix viewing model, which allows for you to enjoy the slow-paced episodes better because you can watch 3 of them consecutively and watch the story progress instead of having to wait week to week.

The thing with Breaking Bad for me is that it has pretty significant flaws in the pacing and at times character writing, which hold it back from the sort of perfection that I think The Wire achieves. However, the best moments of Breaking Bad are a little more transcendentally amazing to me than The Wire ever achieves, probably because The Wire shows so much restraint with its gritty, grounded realism.

The Wire is seriously great if you ever get the chance to watch it. I will warn, though, it's pretty R-rated, mostly for language and violence but also some sexual aspects in the first couple seasons.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

i'm actually still stuck on Season 2 of Breaking Bad. I stopped watching because Borgias on HBO was back and then started watching The Walking Dead

Walking Dead Season 4 is pretty slow if you ask me.

The Borgias was my favorite show of all time. To bad they had to cancel the final season mini/madhead

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Carousel wrote:
HoldingOurOwn wrote:
Carousel wrote:

I'm not surprised.

Well thank you very much for addressing my reasoning and providing an actual intellectual argument on which to base your opinions upon.

You're welcome.  Thanks for doing the same.

CarrollFilms wrote:

Robot Chicken, if it hasn't already been said

Carroll Films, how can I have forgotten Robot Chicken?!!!  Terrible accident.  I love this show!

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (March 19, 2014 (07:28am))

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

HoldingOurOwn wrote:
Carousel wrote:
HoldingOurOwn wrote:

I'm not surprised.

You're welcome.  Thanks for doing the same.

May I ask why you believe the show is overrated?

Say what you will about Breaking Bad in terms of being overrated or not, but "Ozymandias" should go down as one of the greatest hours of dramatic TV ever.

From the last decade, I would go with (in no particular order):

-Breaking Bad
-Mad Men
-Game of Thrones
-Arrested Development
-It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
-Orphan Black
-Orange is the New Black
-House of Cards
-The first season and a half of Homeland
-Masters of Sex
-Brooklyn Nine-Nine
-30 Rock
-Adventure Time
-My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Still haven't seen shows like The Wire, Justified, The Americans, The Good Wife, Downton Abbey, etc.

Last edited by MindGame (March 20, 2014 (02:10pm))

I'll be honest, I thought Breaking Bad would be overrated, and I went into it expecting it to be. But wow, what an absolutely incredible TV Show. I'd have to put that and Community in my top 5 from the last decade.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

That's fine.  The show's not for everyone (...and what show is, besides Transformers?).  I respect your differing tastes & opinions.

Thank you, I'm glad you understand.  I would be curious to know though why you think Breaking Bad is overrated.

Sméagol wrote:

Honestly, the first season of Breaking Bad received very mixed reviews and it does pick up very slowly to begin with. I bet I would not have kept going if not for the Netflix viewing model, which allows for you to enjoy the slow-paced episodes better because you can watch 3 of them consecutively and watch the story progress instead of having to wait week to week.

The thing with Breaking Bad for me is that it has pretty significant flaws in the pacing and at times character writing, which hold it back from the sort of perfection that I think The Wire achieves. However, the best moments of Breaking Bad are a little more transcendentally amazing to me than The Wire ever achieves, probably because The Wire shows so much restraint with its gritty, grounded realism.

The Wire is seriously great if you ever get the chance to watch it. I will warn, though, it's pretty R-rated, mostly for language and violence but also some sexual aspects in the first couple seasons.

I didn't really notice any flaws in the character development (with perhaps the exception of Walt inexplicably becoming a lot more pleasant, in comparison to what he had been in Season 5, in the final season) and pacing.  I actually thought the very first episodes were pretty fast-paced--or maybe it was just the extreme violence that took place (the "bathtub incident" in particular... mini/twitch ).  The only thing I ever thought was slightly cheesy in the entire show was

Spoiler (click to read)

the death of Gus Fring.  Although I didn't mind it because it was a pretty appropriate way for him to end, seeing how a metaphorically two-faced character becomes a literal two-faced one.  It especially feels fitting since one of the big themes within the show is being unable to escape your ultimate fate (just look at the finale of Season 2...)

Also, to be honest, I don't think you can get much more R-rated than Breaking Bad.

MindGame wrote:

Say what you will about Breaking Bad in terms of being overrated or not, but "Ozymandias" should go down as one of the greatest hours of dramatic TV ever.

I'd heard that in Ozymandias the poem of the same name is apparently recited at one point, but when I watched it I never heard it.  I liked the episode a lot, but the most striking for me would have to be "Fly".  It showed to me that this show is about a lot more than violence or whatever.  There's virtually no action and it takes place in one location, yet it still is highly engaging and makes you think a lot long after you've finished watching it.  Also, "that fly has got serious skills, man" is probably one of the funniest Breaking Bad quotes ever.

-The first season and a half of Homeland

I watched a few episodes of Homeland.  While it seems to be really well-made, the basic premise seems pretty bland to me.  The whole "Islamic terrorist" thing has been done to death and isn't really that original.  Which is why I much prefer shows like Person of Interest, which has a much more unique premise and also manages to pull it off very well.

On a completely unrelated note, we now have four members on this forum who have avatars of Benny the 1980-something Space Guy.  I think this may be getting slightly out of hand...

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

MindGame wrote:

-Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Yes.

I really with there were more Brooklyn Nine-Nine fans. It's such a hilarious and genius show.

I also don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet but The Newsroom is one TV show that I would really strongly recommend. Fabulous writing, acting, and camera work. The best of television really!

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

I highly recommend True Detective. It's got some great writing, with a lot of switching between different time periods and unique philosophical themes. The cinematography is beautiful, and Woody Harrelson's and Matthew McConaughey's performances are plainly some of the best on television.

It's sort of a mix between Se7en and Twin Peaks. And the finale is brilliantly satisfying.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Starwars The Clone Wars.