Topic: THAC 9 [CLOSED]

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/images/thac9_logo.png
Howdy folks!

THAC is almost upon us, and I'd like to take this opportunity to fill you all in on the specifics of the contest.  The ninth Bricks in Motion Twenty-four Hour Animation Contest (THAC NEIN) will begin at 12:00 pm (noon), GMT, on December 17, 2011. This is the third BiM THAC, the 9th for the brickfilming community.

Rules

• Starting at 12 noon GMT on December 17, 2011 (Greenwich Mean Time), you will have 24 hours to script, animate, edit, and upload a film. Any entries not received by the end of the 24 hour time period will unfortunately have to be disqualified.  Here is a list of cities and their corresponding times, all set to noon GMT.

• The theme will be announced in a thread titled "THAC 9 Starts NOW!" in the Contests & Community Projects Projects forum.

• To prevent entrants from creating their films ahead of time, the contest theme, a crucial thematic aspect that entries should include, will not be announced until the contest begins.

• In addition to the theme there will be two "mod" elements. The mod elements are visual elements that must be included in every frame of your film to ensure that nothing is animated before the beginning of the 24-hour time period; they are different for every THAC and will be announced at the start time.  There will be two kinds of "mod" elements, and entrants only need to ensure that one of the two elements is present in any frame of footage for their film.  The two elements may be used interchangeably throughout the film, and must be physically included in the set, not added in post-production.

• The first element will be a letter of the alphabet or a numeral.  This symbol will not need to be used as a letter or numeral in the context of the film, though it can be; a clear effort to include something in the shape of the letter or number will suffice.

• The second element will be two LEGO (or other plastic brick) components of two given colors connected to each other, whether by locking into each other by the studs of the brick, or as pieces in a minifigure or technic construction. 
Baseplates and floor pieces will not be allowed to count.

Note: It is not original to make a film about how the element changes from scene to scene and appears in every shot. The element is not intended to be the focus for the film, just a way to ensure entries are made within the 24-hour time period.  Use your brain.

• Entries must be animated and must be primarily composed of stop motion animation. 3D, Flash, or other animation techniques 
may be used to supplement the stop-motion but may not be the main focus.

• The film should contain LEGO or similar 'brick' construction toys, such as MEGA Bloks.

• There must be at least 30 seconds of animation in the entry.  There is no maximum length.

• Joint entries are allowed, as are multiple entries.

• Entries may not contain adult language, graphic violence (blood and/or gore) or sexual themes.

• While copyrighted/trademarked properties are allowed, you are discouraged from basing your movie off of preexisting films 
or franchises (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.). It's not original, and will hurt your chances in the judging process.

• Copyrighted 
music may be used, but if you do not wish to do so, you are permitted to create original music beforehand; music does not have 
to be created within the 24 hour time limit.

Length and Format

• This year, only two ways of uploading will be accepted: YouTube and Vimeo.  The reason for this is to establish pre-determined standards so that judges and myself don't have to deal with downloading, converting, etc. multitudes of file types or different websites.  Please plan accordingly.

• If uploading on YouTube, change the privacy from "Public" to "Unlisted". This means that the only way to watch the film is if you have the link. Send the link in an e-mail afterwards.

• If uploading on Vimeo, while uploading, in the "Privacy" tab, select "Private" and "Password protected."  This will only allow viewers with the password (which you will e-mail along with the link) to watch your film.

• Send all e-mails to thacnine [AT] gmail.com

Judging

Judging will occur over the next few weeks after the contest has ended. The judging panel has yet to be decided.  Also, don't worry, the actual process will be much less complicated than the last time I ran THAC.

Prizes

Prizes have very graciously been donated by Kaminoan (Jared Burks) from Fine Clonier Custom Minifig Decals & Accessories.

http://i41.tinypic.com/263fuid.jpg

First Place: Kaminoan's book Minifigure Customization: Populate Your World! and $10 in-store credit!
Second Place: $7.50 in-store credit!
Third Place: $5 in-store credit!

I am looking forward to seeing the creation all of your great films!  Fire it up, y'all!

Cheshire

Last edited by Cheshire (December 16, 2011 (06:08pm))

Re: THAC 9 [CLOSED]

Awesome can't wait! One more week to go mini/bigsmile

Alright!  I'm excited! mini/bigsmile

Cheshire wrote:

Also, don't worry, the actual process will be much less complicated than the last time I ran THAC.

Thank god...

Also, I think uploading to YouTube/Vimeo is a much better idea that sending a tiny file. Although, YouTube is MUCH quicker, as it takes only a few minutes to be processed, whilst Vimeo takes almost as long as the actual upload to process (with me anyway). But its a good idea to include Vimeo just in case.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Hope I'll be able to enter, but I'm going to have to wait until after christmas to get my lens, which is a shame.

Maybe I'll enter with my old camera, we'll see. It'll be fun to watch all the entries though!

Ugh, I have my final exam that monday after... maybe I'll enter anyway if I have time.

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

Fantastic, count me in

Busy that weekend. Argh. Was hoping to be able to have a chance to make a new brickfilm D:

I am in! Even though I already have the "Populate your World" book.

I am not usually in these contests for the prizes mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

I've decimated nt to enter this year.
pause wile I wait for the cries of dismay that will never come
I will have just gotten a new webcam and will still be playing around with it
I don't have my own computer. I animate on the family laptop and I don't think anyone will like me taking it for a day
so maby next year mini/smile

Nice! You got Kaminoian to sponsor!

Aww yeah...
Entering for sure.

Yeah! mini/bigsmile

Can't wait.

Last edited by Just Kidden (December 10, 2011 (07:13am))

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Excellent.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

*DOUBLE POST*

Cheshire wrote:

The ninth Bricks in Motion Twenty-four Hour Animation Contest (THAC NEIN) will begin on 12:00 noon (GMT) December 17, 2010

Aww. Now I can't enter! mini/tongue

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Cheshire wrote:

This is the second BiM THAC, the 8th for the brickfilming community.

I'm pretty sure this is the third BiM THAC (THAC 7 was the first), and this is the 9th for the brickfilming community unless I can't count right.

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Sounds fantastic!  Just hope my internet won't let me down.  mini/blankexpression

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

HOLY MOTHER NDSNNDNCWJHENDCIHJDINWHJC!
I'm in.

I'm entering total arsomeness!

I'm in if parents allow.