Topic: What are we missing?

I feel like rambling/ranting, so this post may seem a little poorly thought out.

I feel like we are missing something in our brickfilms. Lately, the craze has been all about awesome animation, fight scenes, CGI, expansive sets, or getting things more realistic — I'm probably missing a few other things. Let's look at an example, though. How about Keshen's Captain Obvious video? Half the comments are about animation, some random technical quality, or how "awesome" the film was. Now let's look at 0ldScratch's Out of Time. Again, most of the comments are about animation or some technical quality. The word "story" is thrown around, but despite being one of the stronger aspects of the film, it doesn't get much elaboration. I'm sure that you can find similar comments in pretty much every other film thread on this forum.

I'm afraid that most of us seem to be putting too much focus on the quality of our sets and animation, and not enough focus on story and characterization (and timing, if the film is a comedy). How about those dynamic duo films? Back in the day, we had Mike and Geoff, Steve and Dave, Mr. Tater and Kevin, and so on. Yes it was cliché, but they still worked; you've got two conflicting characters (crazy/mischievous guy with semi-serious/serious guy) who "hang out," and then you throw in some crazy scenario, and it can work. I'd like to point out another duo specifically: Ralph and Rupert. Same formula, but anyone who remembers them might argue that the quality of the films wasn't so great compared to the other three duos that I have mentioned (at first, anyway), yet they were still hilarious films — great example of story over technical quality.

In recent years, the dynamic duo formula has been degraded to two similar characters cracking jokes about pop culture and other geeky stuff, without any really interesting conflict at all (hint: there is conflict in EVERY good story, though it's not necessarily the thing that makes them great). Nobody really liked dynamic duos anymore, so they died out. Except for Henri and Edmond. There was the simple formula, in all it's glory, and it worked again.

I hope you got something out of that "dynamic duo" rant. I picked the dynamic duo thing because it's something everyone should be familiar with. Anyway, I guess I could sum it out with this: Story trumps quality, clichés aren't bad, and all stories have conflict.

Have I lost anyone yet?

So, all that said, I think that if you really want to make good films, it would be worth it to spend as much time working on your story as you do fussing over lighting, set design and animation. Combined. And I think one we could do that is by getting/giving input on stories before filming them; make sure it works on paper before you try to make it work in film.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Re: What are we missing?

Totally agree with the whole thing.
These days it is too much on effects cameras and such. I've even seen people saying that they its impossible to make their movie until they get some software. I mean really?

-Tejas VIM

The problem is that people take things too seriously.

The problem is that we have this site in the first place, and put value on others' opinions over our own.

That's the issue. By having a site like BricksinMotion we encourage people to fit the consensus of what a brickfilmer should be. It was less prevalent in the early brickfilms because the community was smaller and their interests were more eclectic. As we've grown and gotten more central things have gotten tighter and tighter. There are lots of great brickfilms that don't fit the mold, I'm sure, but it takes the kind of person who can respond to criticism without conforming to the mindset of the critic to create them. Don't get me wrong, this site is a great resource, and someone who knows how to develop on their own will benefit immensely from it. However, I have no doubt that sites like ours have really messed up a lot of budding talents by allowing literally anyone to critique them- again, not the fault of the site, but a side effect. When you put someone with average tastes and writing skills in front of a film and tell them to critique it, they're going to be prone to point out any technical flaws before addressing the plot, and if they do go so far as to do so, their critique can usually be summarized with "good story/bad story". We're not a community of intellectuals; for the most part we're kids who do other things and comment on a film occasionally. If we aren't putting a lot of effort into a review, technical aspects are the easiest thing to pick apart.

I don't think we as a community will ever have or have had a "golden age", the term alone kind of puts me off as it makes a good period of films sound great, but I think the key to having great films is taking the initiative and making films for our own enjoyment.

I'm not unhappy with the current crop of films in comparison to the older films. We have tendency to remember the past as better than it was, sure, but even worse, we like to remember it as shorter than it was. We're looking back at almost 10 years of brickfilms being produced regularly now. I could probably count the brickfilms I find truly affecting or strongly endearing on one hand. There are lots of great films (although even so, still not nearly as many as ones I didn't enjoy), but excellent films are rare. Looking back at the dates these films were published, they're spread out over years. To say they were all the result of amazing community support is not accurate. In fact, many were likely only posted when they were finished, some were the director's first published film. These directors just had the discipline to see the examples set by the community, decide what they liked about it and what they didn't, and aspire to that standard.

I know I'm all over the place here, I apologize if what I'm writing seems confusing, but ultimately I guess I'm saying that nothing will coerce the brickfilmers of this site to make better brickfilms, and we shouldn't be trying. Let them decide what better is, and go their way about things. It's a sad fact that the forums will lead to some people who won't catch on and may end up being an ultimately uninteresting (subjective) director, but we should let them do that if that's what they want to do. Critique films the best you can personally, help people out with things you think they need help on, and then let them go. People were making things for a long time before the advent of the internet. I think they can figure things out. I can't help but feel like more involvement in making "good" film makers in a concerted effort by the community as a whole will just make things worse. The best possible solution to influence people to see your way is to make the films you want to see, and set the standard yourself.

Dunno, might take flak for this, but it's kind of how I'm seeing things.

I agree with you Littlebrick. I wish brickfilms would be more simple again.

I hate to point fingers, but I think some of the fault falls on animators (I won't name people but you know who I'm talking about) who do use amazing sets and crazy CGI graphics in the first place, and they get a lot of views for it, so people think 'Oh my! If I want a lot of views I should do that as well!' I'm not saying that those mentioned films don't have great stories, but it takes a back seat to the effects in others' mind's.

Of course, that brings up another question: are views the reason you brickfilm? Of course everyone wants their work to be seen and appreciated, (plus money is cool) but should views or a partnership be the end goal? If it is, you're automatically beholden to the desires of your subscribers. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

People are taking views and subscriptions and publicity too seriously. They need to look at themselves a bit more, decide what they really want to make, not what others would want them to make. I for one can't really think of a good story, at least not one with a perfect plot and emotion. But a brickfilmer should make something that makes them happy, not just what others want. Currently, like Littlebrick said, CGI, perfect animation, most views are all what people are pressured into making or else they get "mehs" or "could've been better" comments. I predict, for example, Mobildeli's egypt film, no matter how good its technical aspects are, won't be remembered in the future unless the there is a great story behind it. Listnening to other older members' favorite films, I see that the views are minimal, some under a couple thousand, if that. People should focus more on story, along with the quality they want. Some older films have terrible quality, but a true story would make you forget about the technical aspects, and focus more on the characters, the plot, the emotion created.
Anyone can pick up a plastic figure, make it move and talk, but only those who truly create a drawing story are remembered.

Too bad none of this applies to me cause I suck at making up stories that involve the watcher. mini/tongue

Brickfilmer a decade ago, now looking to relive the glory days mini/smile

This is precisely what I try to enforce in my movies. Sure, I use pop culture and outdated memes too in my videos (mostly because most people find them funny and funny = more views)

A great example of what I like to call 'Explosion over Exposition' is 'Picturesque'. No offense to Nick Durron - he has made some really good stuff in the past....but I HATED it. It may have been because it treated itself like a movie, yet contained such a weak plot and terrible acting (apart from Smeagol mini/tongue ) that it all became based souly on effects. But it missed its point and whilst its effects deserve credit, everything else about it doesn't.

Sure, if your making an Action or a Sci-Fi Brickfilm, then your Brickfilm will become more Animation/Effects based because that's what the story requires (Action = Action Scenes and Sci-Fi = Spaceships, planets, and laser guns). Lets face it, 'Captain Obvious' wasn't exactly a character-driven-drama was it? It merely involved a man crashing through a window and saying "I AM CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!" It was done really well, and didn't pretend to be anything it wasn't, but there wasn't any real story behind it. What could one say about the story?

Oh, and I think the dynamic duo genre is pretty much dead (apart from maybe 'Tim and fRED' - which despite containing some of the best animation I have seen in years, also has an entertaining script behind it). Its not really due to the fact people have lost the point - more like the fact so many people have done it that its become old and cliché, therefore any story will seem weak and repetitive. I hate to use 'cliche', but here it IS a bad thing since we've all seen it before and its just stale and repetitive (unlike some stuff where clichés are expected and are required). I mean, wasn't 'Alex and Derrick' just two similar characters cracking jokes about pop culture and other geeky stuff?

Last edited by Max Butcher (November 6, 2010 (03:36pm))

YouTube
Max, She/They

I completely agree with everything said. I have nothing to add, sadly. :C

-JK

Last edited by Just Kidden (November 6, 2010 (04:28pm))

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

How about we fix this problem by changing our ways and writing a good story or two rather than playing with our little lighting and animation tests.

Last edited by RealBrick (November 7, 2010 (06:26am))

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

I have to agree with much that has been said.  In my opinion, there was no "Golden Age" of brickfilms, just an "Early Age" where brickfilms were new and exciting.  Sure, there were several films and film makers with great stories, yet there were some poorly done films, too.  There just weren’t as many people attempting the craft, and those who did tended to take it more seriously.  Also, I give a big thumbs-up to all who say a good story trumps all the special effects in the world.

That being said, I must say that I have seen some great brickfilmers on this site (a couple have entered the most recent contests) who care a great deal about plot and seem to use special effects to enhance the story, not to get views.  If fact, I remember reading on the YouTube thread that at least two (I believe) members of this site have declined YouTube partnerships because they didn't want advertisements in their films, so obviously money was not motivating them.  I doubt that subscribers are the driving force for these animators.   

As Squash pointed out, we always make the past "rosier" than it was.  I think some of the brickfilmers currently on this site have made some excellent films.  Sure, there is room for improvement, but I see great potential, and it is evident that they put much thought and effort into their productions.  It is true that when we critique films, we often focus on the animation or effects, but those are the easier things to correct.  Personally, I often don't comment at all on a badly written film.  The animators often need nothing short of private tutoring to help improve the story, and a website is not the place to write a tome on how to create a decent plot. 

Since brickfilms have become better known and enjoyed by more people, more “kids” are going to try making them.  That is going to produce a lot of lousy films, and the makers of them will eventually quit and fade away; but a few will take their hobby seriously, try to improve, and an amazing film maker or two will be the product.  If someone wants to try special effects or do a completely CGI brickfilm, why not?  There is nothing wrong with trying new things.  People may be "wowed" by a “cool” effect, but only a solid and engaging story will keep most folks impressed in the long run. 

In conclusion, let’s not be negative about the current brickfilm “generation.”  While many mediocre films may be produced, some truly inspiring films will be also, and I am personally excited to be a small part of it.

/me tries to dig up his old BAMPA award for Best Screenplay...

If only it could have inspired a new generation of screenwriter.

It's apparently easier to do plotless animation to hone one's skill (seriously, for most of us, the best job we can get is as an animator of someone else's story) than it is to write a story.  Most good stories involved more than one person coming up with the story, the dialogs and making sure it all makes sense.  We're solo animators, all we got are ourselves.  Sure we can share our scripts with each other, but that requires a neuralizer.

I've written scripts, most for dead community projects.  They were all collaborative efforts but they probably will never find their way onto the HD monitors as a brickfilm.  Great stories, though, Aspiration and SUPER.

Anyone remember the Prof?  Contest entry reviewer, started a contest for plot-centric brickfilms.  He had a vision for brickfilms worthy of being as respectable as short films.  Guess we strayed when the old fortress fell to enemy hands.

Some people just want to animate and entertain.  It doesn't usually require a plot to do that.  Instead of whining about it, make something with a plot that's worth watching and show the world we're more than just fist fighting minifigs, Star Wars Clone Wars fanatics, and Dane Cook haters.

In response to the CGI issue and my own objectives:

For those of us who are storytellers, it doesn't matter if it's stop-motion or CGI, they're all mediums to tell our stories.  And just because people use CGI doesn't mean they know how to use it or get more views.  I should know, took years for my one short 8 sec video to reach 300k.

I currently have a space opera series I've been juggling around for over a decade.  I post tests, so what?  I'm learning CGI as I develop my scripts.  Eventually both will be fully developed and I can start getting my Star Wars/Star Trek/Battlestar Galactica/Homeworld inspired space opera off of my word processor and onto the 'Tube.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

Littlebrick, you hit the nail on the head (I think that's the saying). Anyway, I agree 100% with what you've said. Story has been thrown out the window by a lot of brickfilmers, and it's just making them less and less enjoyable.
I agree with everything else that has been said here too, by the way.

In response to the last half of Lechnology's post, I just thought I'd point out PIXAR, because with CGI they still tell amazing stories. It's not the inclusion of CGI to a story that's the problem, it's when CGI replaces the story that things start to turn bad.

I've only recently gone on a quest to earn money from Brickfilms because of my failed Job-Search (Its pretty much impossible for a guy with no experience to get a part-time job. Even McDonalds doesn't want me!). Back in 2009, and most of 2010, I did it merely to entertain. Sure, I entered for contests, but they were just extra motivation. So far Brickfilms are my only option to gain money. I still want to entertain, but if I get a partnership offer I will take it without hesitation. I really admire the guys who turn their partnership down so as to not ruin the viewing experience - I would never be able to do something that selfless, I'm far too greedy.

I too have a dream project. We all have that one dream project. My dream project is a cross between Medieval Swords and Sorcery and Space/Science Fiction epic. Its a comedy also - but is only a comedy because of the impossible setting. Maybe one day when I have the time, skill, and money I shall make it.....

YouTube
Max, She/They

I think we should re-name this, "The Truth Topic", as everything is completely true. Now let me add my rant, though I'd say a lot of what I'll say has already been said.

Anyways, in my honest opinion I find really good brickfilms quite boring. That sounds like a silly complaint, but to be honest I enjoy seeing films more from your average brickfilmer then someone like ZachMG. The reason is, is simply because you don't know what to expect. There's a certain quality about imperfection, so sometimes you see a film with bad quality, a bad set, but you love it. As LittleBrick said, there's more to a film then technical aspects. If a film has a story, even if it's very simplistic, it can make it. Examples can be seen in films such as "The Dandelion" (FilmsByDan) and "Mouth" (LGFBstudios). Don't get me wrong, I still like "Stranger Then Fishin'" and the like, but you can catch the general idea.

Aside from that I'd actually like to say something about the community. One thing I can't stand is people thinking it's "Cool" to always critique a film. Sure, reviews and stuff are important, but I just personally feel that sometimes you should just say something simple but nice about a film. Sometimes it can help more then pointing out the faults. I would be glad to see this a little more.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

I agree totally! In fact, I'm just about to start a new movie with a pretty good story!

| Website |
So yeah, I'm back from my mind.

I see what you're saying LegOpinons, when a reviewer posts a review on a motion picture in a newspaper, they certainly don't say "the lighting looked weird at 1:2:14" and "The set was too basic" they say things about the story. And lets get one big thing straight, there is no such think as "cool" when reviewing a film, that tells nothing to the director, that's just saying that you don't have anything to really tell the director and just want to post as not to anger any impatient directors. If you have nothing to say, don't post.

I once talked with an award winning author an she said this "Only certain people can get good ideas." basically, you have to write a whole story, characters, dialog, what they do, then you can storyboard, don't make the effects a priority, or a necessity, make them a last resort. try to do everything in production, not post-production. And only use effects to enhance a story, not create it.

Last edited by RealBrick (November 7, 2010 (06:54am))

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

Another thing that has happened is that "comedy" films are more popular (which they are), and so everyone makes comedy films.
Not that I have anything against comedy, it's that so many people do it, it starts to get stale. After all, who wants to see a mini-fig crushed by a boulder 700 times in 500 brickfilms. Comedy is all well and good but more often then not, it puts good film making in a back seat to laughs.

That's what I think we are missing: good film making, not good brickfilm making, good film making.

Don't be fooled, my avatar is a facade of conformity.

This thread is amazing. And, like Duke Boy said, we've turned too much toward comedy- I admit, when I first joined, I tried to use my "Hapless Series" to get popularity. Looking back, its the worst thing on my channel- even worse than the animations I did when I first learned about stop motion animations. The quality was HD, the set huge, and titles/credits great- yet it wasn't funny.

What I'd like to see is a good drama. I want to see someone make a brickfilm that pulls the viewer into the story, actually makes them emotionally attached to characters as a real drama would. Make a story that is truly amazing and original. Technical aspects would only be used to enhance it, for if it has a good story, it doesn't matter how its made. If there is someone would makes this (or made it), I applaud you, for it is a feat few can achieve. Even real dramas vary in story quality, only a few actually pull the reader in.

If I was any good a story-making, I'd change my "Le Mime" into a drama.

Brickfilmer a decade ago, now looking to relive the glory days mini/smile

Brickfilms take a long time to make, and it's easier to create a short, funny, brickfilm that makes someone laugh, than it is to make a large film with a great big story and characters and stuff. Seeing as most everyone here is a student with other responsibilities, we just don't have the time to make films that include those kind of plot elements. Filmmakers want to entertain their audience, and short, 30 second videos are an easy way to do that.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg